Question on wife's 02 WRX--smoking
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question on wife's 02 WRX--smoking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hope someone hear can shed some light on the problem that may be causing my wife's engine to smoke. ...

Question on wife's 02 WRX--smoking

I hope someone hear can shed some light on the problem that may be causing my wife's engine to smoke. Occansionally after driving she will get smoke coming out of the engine. She has taken it to the dealer twice already and they have ruled out an oil leak and a leaking differential (both things they thought it could be).

Has anyone else with an 02 WRX experienced any problem like this? I really don't know how to describe it so well as it is her car and I am never with her when it actually happens. I hate to have to take it back to the dealer and have them just experiment on it so I figured if someone else has had this problem I may be able to point the dealer in the right direction.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what color is the smoke and is there any mods on the car? has anything been done to the car recently?

everything is still running fine? the temp gauge stays the same etc?

Okay thanks for responding so quick. The smoke is white, no mods completely stock and the car runs fine. I've driven it a few times and it pulls strong like normal. That is the funny thing about it. Temp I assume is fine but I can't confirm as I have never checked this.

im not sure what to tell you man ive had white smoke come out of my car but it was because i changed out down pipes but had to put the stock one back and i had sprayed wd40 all over it causing it to smoke from under the engine...

can you see there where abouts in the engine bay that the smoke is coming from?

how many miles are on the car? some owuld say white smoke is a headgasket but thats uncommon for the wrx

oh yeah and when you do find out the problem make sure to post it here...

*subscribed*
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Any noticeable loss in coolant? Have you taken a whiff of the smoke? Does it smell sweet at all? That would be a good indication of a coolant leak.

your rex is just depressed and stressed.. its not driven how it should be driven.. your wife doesnt quite make it happy..
    you might want to buy the patch... he may never quit.
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

^ That is funny as hell Anyways it is not a leak as the dealer checked everything. But it is going back to the dealer tomorrow morning and they are going to work on it again. I'll post back the results if there are any.

Thanks for the help!

Is the smoke really smoke, or is it steam? And where on the engine does it come from?
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I'm actually not 100% sure if it is smoke or steam as I have personally never seen it and therefore I don't know where it is coming from either. Everytime it happens my wife is alone and calls me. When I get there the smoke has stopped. It usually stops a few minutes after it starts (according to my wife) as she has enough time to open the hood and look around and the smoke is already starting to dissappear. I still have not heard back from her today so no update from the dealer I suppose.

I sometimes get a white smoke and it comes from the turbo/downpipe. I have an 02, I guess heavy driving and abuse may have cause my downpipe to get loose over the years. I torqued the bolts to spec and it solved the problem. It used to leak to the hood scoop during traffic. Also yeah check to make sure no fluids have spilled on your exhuast manifolds, up/downpipe, turbo and anything else that gets really hot in your engine bay.

That sounds exactly like the problem!! Thank you so much. I will mention this to the dealer as I don't have enough confidence to put my hands on it myself.

I used to run AMSOIL synthetic and I'd get a tiny plume coming out of the hood scoop.
    It was definitely random in nature. The dealer never could find anything leaking. I even
    did a check myself with a UV light and dye you put in the oil from NAPA. It was the
    strangest thing. I changed to Mobil 1 after about a year or so and I've never had the issue
    again

if its a five speed i say she smoked the clutch. imo

that definitely could be. I smoked the clutch once and smoke came out of the scoop for a couple of seconds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.