Strange squealing/screeching noise when dropping to idle

This is a discussion on Strange squealing/screeching noise when dropping to idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I am not used to any weird noises coming out of my engine other than the normal ones. I ...

Strange squealing/screeching noise when dropping to idle

Well I am not used to any weird noises coming out of my engine other than the normal ones.
    I have a 2002 WRX.

I was stopping at a light today and i dropped from about 3krpms to idle and i heard kind of a garbled screeching and my idle dropped real low then back up to 750. I pulled into a parking lot at a store i was going to and i was able to reproduce the squealing/screeching noise by revving lightly to 2-3krpms and letting off it would last about 1 second and stop once idle evened out.. It was not very loud, it was barely audible over my audio.

I went into the store i was at for about 10 mins, came back out and the sound was gone and im unable to recreate it. So my theories so far are a belt is loose and cold/warm weather is doings omething, or my blow off valve is sticking and causing some weird noises. The only reason i think the BOV could be the cause is because the sound i was hearing almost sounded like a belt, but it didnt, if that makes any sense. Anyone have any insight on this?

I have a Cobb Stage2, TurboXS RFL BOV, 3" turboback.
    Yeah, im finally over the BOV and going back to stock this weekend, dont worry. But any help on what could be making that noise would be helpful, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe your trunk monkey has been doing some tinkering with your car ala that Twilight Zone episode, Nightmare at 10,000 Feet.
    1999 BMW 328i - R.I.P.
    2004 JBP WRX - R.I.P.
    2007 SWP STi
    And Loving Every Minute Of It.

Well I get something similar on cold mornings. I usually let my car warm up for a minute or 2 before going and it sorts of makes a screeking noise a bit until it warms up more.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

tighten your alternator belt tensioner mine was doing the same thing and i kept driving with it, a day later my belt snapped. soo tighten it andmaybe get some of that none slip adhesive spray.

my a/c guide pulley went out on me and made a similar sound
    the stock pulley is some plastic piece of **** with a bearing, sort of unbelievable that they used it on there to begin with. I guess it seized up or something, and the belt just eventually wore down the plastic down to the bearing housing. had to replace it with, but the replacement was a pretty nice metal one. though my a/c still doesn't work (I think it's either out of refrigerant or that damn valve in the firewall is out. there's no change in idle when I hit the a/c anymore after the pulley took a dump).