Synthetic Oil = more HP's?

This is a discussion on Synthetic Oil = more HP's? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all... I read some of the earlier threads, but never found a definitive answer... (mebbe there isn't one?) Well, ...

Question Synthetic Oil = more HP's?

Hey all... I read some of the earlier threads, but never found a definitive answer... (mebbe there isn't one?)

Well, I just got my WRX recently. I made the jump and changed to Quaker State synthetic. I hear that using synthetic can give you about 2-3 extra horse power. Anyone know how true this is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the answer is that you will gain VERY SMALL amounts of power (read: probably won't register anything on the butt dyno) HOWEVER it's not the main reason to switch to synthetic oil...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Yup, it will add minute amounts of power to the engine, but just barely. Synth does not break down as easily as dino, so as preventative maint it is a good idea IMO.

I have seen how much better the synths are than dino juice.

I was out cuttin up logs with a chainsaw, and ya gotta oil the bar every so often(cheapie chainsaw). I was using some el-cheapo Kendall 10-40 oil for this. I ran out, and all I had in the garage was the pricey Mobil 1 10-40(50?) and had to use it. Before it was 10-15 mins between oil ups...with the Mobil 1 I finished up the job, and had over 30 mins on one lube up. So, yeah it has better "sticky" properties, and MUCH better lubrication properties. The bar was cooler(less friction I guess). I now keep on hand a can of synthetic for the chainsaw, less time spent slopping oil on it.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

tan
    Many of the hp boost claims were using 0w30 oil. The trick is, is getting the results before the oil gets hot enough to act like a 30 weight oil.

Mmmmmmm..

What Oils do they use in CART and F1 etc Australian V8 Suerpcars etc?

I've been told by many people they pretty much all run Dino oil ....

I haven't got any official sources but I'd love to hear from anyone who can confirm or deny it with real evidence!!!

Been discussing it with friends and it has been a hot topic for while!

Cheers
    AntMan

tan
    The real question is.....do you have the money to change your oil every 500 miles, and let alone able to get the special formulations for certain racing teams.

No I don't have that kinda money to change the oil every 500miles.

But regardless of what brand of oil they used in the HiPo engines I'm pretty sure they'd change it regardless of its state after each race. And I'm pretty sure they don't rebuild a motors left right and centre unless they have to.

So if synthetic produced more power and was better on the motor why don't they use it?

I know a turbo mechanic and he recommended a semi synthetic blend.

He also said regardless of if you use dino or semi/full synthetic is more regular changes thats the issue rather than oil.

He was of the opinion that Full Synethetic oil was a waste of money.

Cheers
    WrxAnt

tan
    I would have to say cost to the manufacturer & use of common parts.

My TDI comes with synthetic oil from the factory, and it's recommended to use synthetic (as 5w40 is synthetic only).

ROyal Purple ENgine oil

ROyal purple Engine Oil claims that they add HP to cars.
    LIke 5-10 hp or something.
    I think it's total bull, but I don' t know.
    What cha all think?
    -soul

No its not bull.

There was a test in an Australian car magazine of a holden 304ci fuel injection motor on a dyno...

They ran through 12 different oils on dyno runs...

Some oils produced more power than others.

But they also measured the metal particles in the oil after the dyno run ie how much wear occured...

It appeared the cheaper oils that produced more power also had more wear...

IIRC the difference in performance between the worst performing oil and the best was 10Hp on a 220hp motor..

So there isn't always free HP to be gained!!!

I'm sure there must be some independant reviews on the net somewhere comparing HP output and wear of different oils on the same motor.

Do a search!

Cheers
    AntMan

Re: ROyal Purple ENgine oil

Originally posted by soulsweeper
    ROyal purple Engine Oil claims that they add HP to cars.
    LIke 5-10 hp or something.
    I think it's total bull, but I don' t know.
    What cha all think?
    -soul
    last week on "Spike TV" I was watching horsepower tv, and they took a 98 camero SS stock and dynoed it. they then switched to all synthetic fluids Engine, trans & Diff. they used just regular old royal purple fluids...nothing special that we can't get our hands on.

they got a gain of about 10hp at the rear wheels...

seems proof enough for me...

and no they weren't using 0w30 they were using 10W30 and 75W90 for the trans ans diff.

just think the good reason for synthetic oil is more mileage in vehicle before getting oil change.