Troublesome Noise

This is a discussion on Troublesome Noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here it is... 2003 WRX w/ 87k miles. Recently, I have been hearing a noise that would almost be associated ...

Troublesome Noise

Here it is...

2003 WRX w/ 87k miles. Recently, I have been hearing a noise that would almost be associated with valve tapping. Of course, being a WRX, our cars come with the slight noise at no charge from the factory. I can hear that factory noise no problem. The new noise accompanies the valve noise. It's like rapidly tapping a ball peen onto solid metal. If I hold the accellerator down at POT, the noise occurs. At WOT, it doesn't show up. The noise can be heard in the cabin of the car also..that's how loud it is. If I rev the engine out of gear, the noise can be heard st 2700 rpm, but then disappears after that. I'm freaking out because I don't want to be driving my car and have it breakdown while I'm at work...which can be from 50-200 mi from home. Any type of help is greatly appreciated. If more info is needed, let me know.
    2003 PSM WRX Stage 2
    2004 PSM WRX Transformer: Silverstreak
    2004 WRC STI Transformer: Smokescreen

So I collect toys...what of it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Verdict

.....it's a piston. The back driver side one to be exact. so, i can either get it replaced and hope that the wall isn't damaged, or i can go ahead and get a whole new shortblock. hmmm...what to do what to do
    2003 PSM WRX Stage 2
    2004 PSM WRX Transformer: Silverstreak
    2004 WRC STI Transformer: Smokescreen

So I collect toys...what of it...