Battery dies constantly
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Battery dies constantly within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About once or twice a week (sometimes more frequently) the car will totally die as soon as I turn it ...

Battery dies constantly

About once or twice a week (sometimes more frequently) the car will totally die as soon as I turn it off. I have to jump the car to get it to start, and I normally drive it around for a while after that to charge the battery back up. However, today I jumped it in the morning, and when I got to work (30 minutes later) I turned it off. I waited about 1 minute and tried to start it up again, and its totally dead. Could this be that the battery is so bad that it doesnt charge? Or is it the alternator not working properly, thus not charging the battery? Thanks....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If the battery is 3-5 years old and you live in extreme climates then the battery is probably shot. Easy to check the alternator output while the car is running, just meter across the battery and you should see about 14 volts. When it is not you should see around 12. If you are not getting a light when the car is running then it is possible the alternator is fine.

Go by Sears and get the $9 diagnostic service. They will give it back to you when buy a battery. If an OPTIMA red top fits that would be the way to go.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    Heck, go to Checker or Advance or AUtozone and they'll test that stuff for free.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I got it tested and the battery was totally dead, I've been driving around on just the alternator. I got a new batter and its all good now. Thanks for all the input.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.