Stock Turbo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock Turbo within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When im at stop lights or just sitting in traffic i notivce a very light smoke coming out of my ...

Stock Turbo

When im at stop lights or just sitting in traffic i notivce a very light smoke coming out of my hood scoop, it doesnt always happen but when it does happen its constant where you can always see it. It smells like something burning and when i open my hood and look it seems to be coming up from the underside of the turbo.

I took it to the dealership twice and they said it was an exhaust gasket (by the cat after the downpipe). I dont see how that could cause any problem, regardless they said they fixed it and it never went away. No one can give me an answer as to what it is when i ask.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Farnk
    When im at stop lights or just sitting in traffic i notivce a very light smoke coming out of my hood scoop, it doesnt always happen but when it does happen its constant where you can always see it. It smells like something burning and when i open my hood and look it seems to be coming up from the underside of the turbo.

I took it to the dealership twice and they said it was an exhaust gasket (by the cat after the downpipe). I dont see how that could cause any problem, regardless they said they fixed it and it never went away. No one can give me an answer as to what it is when i ask.
    They could possibly be right, personally stealerships dont "get it right the first time" i usually take my car to a performance shop and they will tell you exactly whats going on as a second opinion. I blew a gasket once and the smoke was coming from the left side of my engine when it was on the right side leaking oil. (v6 engine) I took it to my dealer and they fixed it twice and it still was happening i took it to the performance shop and they told me they f-ed it up even more so they fixed it and never again did i see smoke coming from under my hood, I also got a nice donation from VW because of their lack of fixing my car twice. good luck

That has happened to me in my 06 wrx a few times when I have been on it hard heating up the turbo. I discovered that it was my a/c drain line rubbing on my aftermarket helix dp that was melting the a/c drain hose coming from the cockpit through the firewall and down along side my dp. I cut the drain hose up snug at the firewall and no more smoke! My a/c drain still works great because its only purpose is to drain condensaton out of the interior vents, and it can still do that with the shorter drain hose.

Try doing a search for "smoking turbo" or "smoke turbo" or stuff like that.

I know I've posted before about it since I've noticed it too. Not a huge deal, mine has been doing it a while but no major issues at 85k miles so far. Try to make sure the car is up to temp before you push it, that seems to help.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.