very odd squeaking (described in depth) ideas?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on very odd squeaking (described in depth) ideas? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, So I've got this REALLY odd squeak coming from my car. here's the symptoms: 1)only happens when the car ...

very odd squeaking (described in depth) ideas?

Ok, So I've got this REALLY odd squeak coming from my car. here's the symptoms:

1)only happens when the car is warm (like 15,20 minutes of normal driving).
    2)It frmo the front left.
    3)It's metallic (not a belt, I swear)
    4)It will become evident when turning the wheel one way or the other, and then go away and come back.
    5) Speed dependent (squeaksqueaksqueak)
    6)it's NOT the brakes (I promise)
    7)It sounds like some rotating mass contacting a non rotating mass at one point in its rotation (Squeak squeak squeak vs. SQUEEEEEEEEAKK)
    8)It can get horffically loud.
    9) there is NO feedback in the steering wheel when its squeaking, so I dont think its anything in the rack.

Basically I just took it to the stealer (yeah my bad I know) and they were like "oh its your rotors, replace them." SO I was like "ok, if it fixes it." got the car back last night. still there. Center Subrau in Torrington CT has a chance to make good on this yet, I'll let you know how the call goes.

Here's my thought, and chime in if you know what it is, or if you think i'm an idiot:

There's a dust shield that covers the ABS ring, it operates in an uberclose tolerance to the entire cast iron hub assembly, if that has become ganked in one place, it could orbit out of round, and you know that cast iron piece has got to flex a bit under normal driving conditions.

Thoughts?! (Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure to eliminate as many things as possible)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you hit it on the head. The dust shield would be my guess.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Called the stealership yesterday (Tuesday). To their credit, they're taking the car back in on Thursday and giving me a loaner. They're kinda ****s when you offer them advice, but the service manager was amenable to deducting the cost of the brakes from the cost of repair work to fix the squeak going forward. I asked him about getting my rotors and pads back... (Just thought I'd try). The Saga Continues...

I Support ClubWRX
    If your pads are down to the wear indicators, they will do that.

You could also have a small rock caught in the dust shield.

Sounds like the noise I had before I had my wheel bearings replaced!
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    2006 STU Pro Solo Natl. Champ.
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

I'm not 100%, but, jack the car up, and turn the wheel by hand, and see if at a certain point it makes the noise.... that happened on my acura, when, as you said, the dust shield had a bend in it....

p.s.
    Kudos on being descriptive, a lot of people have a hard time being able to put they're problem into words to actually get a decent analyzation of the issue.
    It's not turbo lag, it's foreplay

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.