Changing tranny and diff fluid..

This is a discussion on Changing tranny and diff fluid.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey just wonder if there is a certain way to go about changing the tranny fluid and diff fluid. Any ...

Changing tranny and diff fluid..

Hey just wonder if there is a certain way to go about changing the tranny fluid and diff fluid. Any proven methods? Just bought a 4 quarts of lightweight shockproof and 1 qt of heavyweight shockproof for the rear diff. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No, pretty simple. Get yourself a little $5 gear oil pump at at autoparts store. Makes things a bit easier. Instructions are in the Periodic Maintenance PDF in the tech. ref. sticky.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Successful tranny drain and fill. Ok, had a bit of a snag trying to find the T70 star socket and went to at least 3 auto stores looking for this socket, decided to just buy a T60 and give it a try. While comparing a T50 to a T60 the difference in size didnt seem to be that great and decided that it was worth a try, I bought the rachet attachment socket for $5 at sears. Got home and opened up the drain plug on the tranny with very little trouble, needed to use additional torque to get that baby lose( I used the upper shaft of my jack handle). Drained the fluid.. that stuff reeks! Be prepared with a large enough oil pan to catch the fluid (about 4qts for my '04 5mt). Had to let the car sit while level for about an hour to get most of the fluids drained. Cleaned the drain plug and have not seen any metal shavings or anything that would suggest a dying tranny (thank god ) and replaced the plug with adequate force so that it couldn't come loose etc. Filled up the tranny with 3-1/2 bottles of Redline Shockproof Lightweight. There was no night and day difference that some have claimed to Redline to show but at least first gear responded to double clutching at around 2-8mph, which helps out a tad bit but not much. Noticed that first and third seemed a bit more notchier than before the new fluid. Overall I'm satisfied with the results. Although I would suggest using shockproof lw with some sort of mix, perhaps syncromesh, mobil 1 and so on because Shockproof LW is a lot thicker than 75w90 mobil1 etc and may need to be diluted a little bit. Not sure if that will solve anything but it's just a suggestion.