ideas? Horrible dash rattles
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

This is a discussion on ideas? Horrible dash rattles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, all! This is my first post here ... be gentle. I have a 2004 wagon, bought March 2004. I've ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3

    ideas? Horrible dash rattles

    Hi, all! This is my first post here ... be gentle.

    I have a 2004 wagon, bought March 2004. I've always loved it ... except for one* thing.

    The noise.

    Now, I'm not talking about the fact that this car has a lot of road noise (it does) or that the roof rack makes it even noisier (it does). That I don't mind.

    This car's interior is infested with squeaks, rattles, and creaks. I can't count the number of times I've brought it to the dealership. A few changes have been made, but it's still so noisy I find myself grinding my teeth when I drive. Even cranking up the stereo only drowns some of them out (and that doesn't help when I have someone in the car with me). The dealership also had a bunch of staff and management turnover while all of this was going on. I get the impression that it's now much more stable and hopefully competent.

    Unfortunately, the problem is intermittent. I drove all the way up to Beaver Creek in silence. On the way back to Boulder, it wouldn't shut up.

    So, anyway, I went to the dealership this week and spoke to the service manager, expressing my frustration. The good news: they will take the car for several days next week, and they will give me a loaner. The bad news: obviously they can't guarantee that they will be able to silence the car.

    So, my questions:

    Do you have any suggestions on trying to isolate the noises? I haven't been able to find a pattern to when they happen.

    Are there any known WRX wagon likely culprits?

    Finally, does anyone have contact info for a regional service manager for Colorado? I would love to write a letter expressing my frustration and asking for some help.

    I am really hoping that this week in the dealership will do it, but if it doesn't, I'm going to have to figure out what to do next. I have zero experience with taking apart a car, even the interior, and from what I understand, trying to remove the dash myself and isolate these noises would be a serious undertaking.


    * Actually, two. The trim around the windows keeps "popping" out, and the dealership keeps replacing it. I swear, sometimes I think a tribe of monkeys assembled my car.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,902
    One of the noisest is the defroster trim piece which runs along the base of the windshield, and most liekely you hear the driver's side. take taht piece out and you will see like 6-8 white clips that make noise. the problem is that is taht they are plastic and mounted on plastic. What i did I got some goo that turns into rubber and put it around the clip so taht they wont rattle.

    Its been fine for 15k miles, but now i got some more rattles the reason I probably have more is becuase I have a steroe system now, but Ive been slowly trying to isolate the nosies and fixing them. I took off both door panels and did the same to those clips in there.

    Another one is the plastic trim cover around the steering column. I used some of that rubber in those spots too.

  4. #3
    Registered User cavallino333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Posts
    11,850
    Yeah rattles are a common issue. Everyone has them, you can fix a few of them (as roxie stated above) but your best bet is to just learn to live with it you'll never bea able to stop them all.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    Yeah rattles are a common issue. Everyone has them, you can fix a few of them (as roxie stated above) but your best bet is to just learn to live with it you'll never bea able to stop them all.
    If they can't be fixed, I will sell the car. That's how bad these rattles are. I've never been in a car that has such awful rattling. I've ridden in other Imprezas and WRXes; none of them had problems like this. I don't expect it to dampen the noise like a luxury vehicle, but this is loud enough that it ends up ruining the enjoyment I would normally get from the car.

    Do you mean rattles are a common issue for a WRX, or they're a common issue for cars in general?

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by felo3769
    One of the noisest is the defroster trim piece which runs along the base of the windshield, and most liekely you hear the driver's side. take taht piece out and you will see like 6-8 white clips that make noise. the problem is that is taht they are plastic and mounted on plastic. What i did I got some goo that turns into rubber and put it around the clip so taht they wont rattle.

    Its been fine for 15k miles, but now i got some more rattles the reason I probably have more is becuase I have a steroe system now, but Ive been slowly trying to isolate the nosies and fixing them. I took off both door panels and did the same to those clips in there.

    Another one is the plastic trim cover around the steering column. I used some of that rubber in those spots too.
    Thanks for these suggestions. The worst noises are definitely from the driver's side. The dealership put foam between the bezel around the indicator panel and the dash, but the manager said they'll look into replacing the bezel, as a slight warpage could be causing a lot of this.

  7. #6
    Registered User cavallino333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Posts
    11,850
    Quote Originally Posted by roxie
    If they can't be fixed, I will sell the car. That's how bad these rattles are. I've never been in a car that has such awful rattling. I've ridden in other Imprezas and WRXes; none of them had problems like this. I don't expect it to dampen the noise like a luxury vehicle, but this is loud enough that it ends up ruining the enjoyment I would normally get from the car.

    Do you mean rattles are a common issue for a WRX, or they're a common issue for cars in general?
    I mean WRX's are fairly rattley. None of my other cars have rattled as much as my WRX. You probably could fix them all its just going to be a long and tedious venture.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

  8. #7
    Registered User br3ez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ / NEU, Boston
    Posts
    2,139
    get a catless exhaust and run without the muffler if you want to see rattles....
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

    250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by br3ez
    get a catless exhaust and run without the muffler if you want to see rattles....

    and add a bassmaster 3000 system for the ultimate rattling experience

  10. #9
    Registered User AKESREX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    116
    Tap, Tap, Tap. No rattles, just tap tap tap. And it's continuous on two
    freeways I drive on- fortunately only for about 5 miles total. I've been
    chasing the tapping for about a month now. It's the most obnoxious,
    insideous noise.
    Most of the rear interior trim is off right now- that's where it's coming
    from. I'll find the source or the insane asylum, one of the above

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •