Whoosh noise on Sti?

This is a discussion on Whoosh noise on Sti? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just yesterday I started hearing a whoosh noise, kind of like a blow off valve, on the passengers side around ...

Whoosh noise on Sti?

Just yesterday I started hearing a whoosh noise, kind of like a blow off valve, on the passengers side around the turbo. It's only when I get boost, it sounds like a vacuum when getting boost and a whoosh when I let off the gas. I have 16,000 miles on my car and had never heard it before. Any ideas of what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like a CAI or silencer delete.
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

I Support ClubWRX
    I would say it sounds like your stock bov.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

any idle issues? Checked to see if you've blown a hose off the IC or a vac line?

It's a sound discrete from that of the whoosh of the turbo?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    04 VW Passat 1.8T
    Looking to replace with 06 WRX Limited

I have this too!

My Dad's 1st WRX (MY 2002) had a growling sound when the turbo kicked in... and the same goes with his 2nd WRX (MY 2005). (Yes, we look like a super-mini club with our WRX's.)

I have a 2004 WRX and when my turbo kicks in I have a whooosh/higher pitch whine sound. I'm not sure when what it sounds like when I release the gas... We both say it sounds like a formula 1 racer sound. There's no difference between the WRX's as far as power output.

Overall, it seems like my WRX and my dad's are tuned slightly different. Perhaps they all are? Mine has a definite "louder" sound with the exhaust and noise when the turbo kicks in than his. I suppose I should mention they are both still 100% stock. The only performance difference is I have the short throw shifter.

I don't like quiet cars... I love to hear the sound of the engine and turbo.