First oil change....

This is a discussion on First oil change.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so 3000 miles is coming up soon (i think she's sitting on 2800 right now) and i'm trying to ...

First oil change....

Ok, so 3000 miles is coming up soon (i think she's sitting on 2800 right now) and i'm trying to decide what to do on my first oil change. I have always changed my own oil in the past since my Dad's neighbor has a pit to use (yes.. envy me!) So i can't decide if i should take the rex to the dealership to get the oil changed or do it myself. And if i DO decide to do it myself, what kind of oil do you guys recommend? I used mobil 1 synthetic in my mustang, but i would like to get your opinions. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do it yourself! A pit? w3some.

Go with synthetic or dino...I don't think it matters that much. Personally, I'm waiting until my 2nd oil change to go Mobil 1, but it's your call. 5W-30 or 5W-40 is gravy.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I went to Mobil 1 5W-30 after 1100 miles or so. 35,5xx on the ticker and no problems yet...
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

well it looks like I may just be sticking with the Mobil 1 synthetic that i used in the Mustang, it's more expensive but it definately did make the car run smoother.

from what i know you shouldnt switch to synthetic so early.
    your car hasnt fully broken in yet. even though the dealership said
    after 1000 your done with your break in. regular oil is actually a great
    key for positioning you pistons... but it is your car and it is you finall
    decition. but keep me informed.

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    DEFINITELY DIY! Once you'll do it, you'll see how flippin' easy it is, and then you wouldn't be able to imagine ever paying someone else to do it.

I have always used Mobil 1 5W30 when I do mine.

also, you may want to check out getting this: www.fumotovalve.com
    I swear by mine.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Quote Originally Posted by jihoon85
    from what i know you shouldnt switch to synthetic so early.
    your car hasnt fully broken in yet. even though the dealership said
    after 1000 your done with your break in. regular oil is actually a great
    key for positioning you pistons... but it is your car and it is you finall
    decition. but keep me informed.
    I've heard this as well. Over on IWSTi the general consensus is don't switch to synthetic till after 10,000 miles. This is the route I am taking but either way, keep your receipts!
    05 Protuned CGM STi

well i guess i'll take the advice and not go with synthetic till after 10k. Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    DEFINITELY DIY! Once you'll do it, you'll see how flippin' easy it is, and then you wouldn't be able to imagine ever paying someone else to do it.

I have always used Mobil 1 5W30 when I do mine.

also, you may want to check out getting this: www.fumotovalve.com
    I swear by mine.

I've been doing all oil changes on my cars since day one. I know how easy it is, especially on a subaru (had an outback, which is by far the easiest oil change EVER.)

so, guys, what's the different between 5W-30, 5W-40 and 10w-30? different climate, for cold and warm weather ?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TDub
    Ok, so 3000 miles is coming up soon (i think she's sitting on 2800 right now) and i'm trying to decide what to do on my first oil change. I have always changed my own oil in the past since my Dad's neighbor has a pit to use (yes.. envy me!) So i can't decide if i should take the rex to the dealership to get the oil changed or do it myself. And if i DO decide to do it myself, what kind of oil do you guys recommend? I used mobil 1 synthetic in my mustang, but i would like to get your opinions. Thanks!
    A pit? That is a no brainer DIY! Envy indeed! I waited for my second oil change to go Mobil1 5W-30 at 6600 miles. As stated, there seems to be no clear consensus on what is best. Do the research and decide for yourself.

All the oil information you would ever want to know: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_wrx
    so, guys, what's the different between 5W-30, 5W-40 and 10w-30? different climate, for cold and warm weather ?
    Those are 3 types of multi-viscosity oils. The first number (5, 5, 10) represents the viscosity of the oil when cold. A 5W will generally have better cold pumping characteristics than a 10W and will tend to -- simplistically speaking -- stay liquid at lower temperatures. The second number (30, 40, 30) represents the viscosity when the oil is warm. So, a 5W-30 and a 5W-40 of the same type and/or from the same company will probably behave the same at startup when the oil is cold and differently when the car is warm, the 40 oil being "thicker."

Nonetheless, it's possible the oils you listed, if from the same company, start life as the same "stuff" -- the same base stock. A company may use different viscosity modifiers and/or additive packages to go from a stock to a final product with given characteristics.

Second the recommendation for Bob Is The Oil Guy. That's a no-nonsense, no-"spin" site. Tons of Subaru-specific used oil data too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Talking

hey, good to know, thanks!!