15,000 Mile Maintainance

This is a discussion on 15,000 Mile Maintainance within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey my 15,000 mile checkup is coming up from what it says in the manual. So was curious on whether ...

15,000 Mile Maintainance

Hey my 15,000 mile checkup is coming up from what it says in the manual. So was curious on whether I actually need to do it or is it just another way the dealership takes my money. Just want to hear some suggestions or see what other people did. Thanks. I have an 04 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also when should I start using synthetic oil? Is using 10w-30 still fine or is it better to go with the 5w-30 like the car recommends. Suggestions?

i know that the diff. and tranny maint. is scheduled for 15k. They just told me the other day at the oil change place... I would go ahead and do it. Its good to get any metal shavings out of your diffs and tranny. Its not expensive either.

You could get it done somewhere other than the dealer. Just make sure they put good stuff in the diffs and tranny.

also about the synthetic oil, i heard from the guy that i bought my car form that you shouldn't use synthetic oils. The people he got this info from were on a rally racing team (an big one) can't remember the name. I'm not sure if there are any big advantages performance wise using synth. oils but if people that put their cars under this much stress and compete say that using dyno oil is a better idea i deffinentally take it into consideration.

Anyone else have input on this?

I have allways used synthetics in my cars and motorcycles. I have about 10,000 really really hard driving miles on my motorcycle and it still runs like new. I have used synthetics in that since the first oil change. I have also used synthetic oils in my pickup which also runs great. I have switched to synthetic on my wrx at 3000 miles and plan to keep using it. I believe that most info about synthtics come from myths. Many automotive manufacturers use full synthetic motor oil straight from the factory. Some of these manufacturers would include Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, and Chevy uses full synthetic from the factory for the Corvette.