Specific Warm-up/Cool Down?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Specific Warm-up/Cool Down? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, The WRX is actually the first turbo car I've owned. I was wondering if there were any specific ...

Question Specific Warm-up/Cool Down?

Hey Guys,

The WRX is actually the first turbo car I've owned. I was wondering if there were any specific warm-up (when you first start it up) or cool down techniques to keep it running well. I heard of a specific turbo cool down, can anyone elaborate? Thanks!

-slim
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (AP Stage 2)
    Midnight Black, weathered and beaten thanks to the wonderful citizens of Philadelphia, PA

2005 Honda S2000
    Silverstone Metallic Exterior, Red/Black Interior, a shifter made in heaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would say there is no EXACT SCIENCE to warming up or cooling down procedure, but this is what I do. When you start the car, you can drive away, just don't get on it or rev above 4000 rpm's until the temperature gauge is at operating temperature. Meaning, the temp gauge is at or above the middle mark on the temp gauge.

Cooling down procedure. I have a turbo timer and I allow it to cool down after normal driving for about 1 minute to a minute and a half before shutting it down. If I am justing beating the hell out of the car, revving it to redline, like at the dragstrip, I will allow it to idle after I am done for about 3-4 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Like Kurlee said above keep it below 4k rpm until it reaches the normal operating temp (you have a guage on your dash, use it). For cool down, I try not to drive to hard before I get to my destination, this helps cool the turbo. Also if I was driving hard before I got to my location I would let it sit atleast 30 seconds just for my piece of mind. Subaru does not say anything about a cool down in the manual just to let you know.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Kanos, yeah, Subaru didn't mention anything about cooldown in the manual, which is weird...I heard properly warming up and cooling down a turbo car will ensure its longevity...and I thought Subie was all about reliability

-slim
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (AP Stage 2)
    Midnight Black, weathered and beaten thanks to the wonderful citizens of Philadelphia, PA

2005 Honda S2000
    Silverstone Metallic Exterior, Red/Black Interior, a shifter made in heaven

Actually Subaru posted a newletter stating that their newest turbo engine was of advanced technology that the usual turbo cooldowns on previous generation turbo cars was unnecessary. Not sure where the newletter was located, but im sure someone else has seen it. If you are running greater than normal boost however, I think you should cool down your engine after driving. A poor man's turbo timer is just sitting in the car, which is why you should always carry enough SCC or Turbo magazines to pass the time

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

OK, I read a tech article that describes the cooling system (a week ago) on the WRX turbo...don't have time to reference it, so take from it, what you will.

The subaru cooling system for the turbo allows coolant to circulate around the turbo (total layman's terms) it collects on the bottom and distributes from the top, therfore, if the turbo is really hot, the coolant will naturally recirculate due to basic physics, regardless if the engine is on or not.

Another reason for the timer would be to maintain oil circulation to maintain lubrication. I don't know if lubrication is necessary or not when no parts are moving (engine off). I doubt it.

i think the hoopla over TT is promoted by the makers. The actual NEED for such a device is probably minimal at best. The manufacturers seem to be adding more and more options, as to keep the thing from being totally superfluous.

I'd get one for the additional options and not because I'm worried about the turbo longevity.

BTW, if you plan on replacing yor turbo, a TT might be necessary based upon the specs.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.