Oil Consumption

This is a discussion on Oil Consumption within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had my oil changed yesterday since its winter here in MN and didnt feel like crawling under my car ...

Oil Consumption

I had my oil changed yesterday since its winter here in MN and didnt feel like crawling under my car and doing it myself. One of the concerns on the inspections was that no oil registered on the dipstick. The service manager said that the car could of been burning oil since they couldnt find any leaks. I have never noticed or smelt burning oil and am wondering if the increase in cold weather could of caused it like he said at the shop (burning oil). How can I prevent it from burning oil?
    03 WRX MBP
    DB 18g | Megan DP | Gutted UP | Borla CB | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Big MAF | Walbro FP | Denso Iridiums | Torque Converter | ValveBody | APS TMIC | 680cc FI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, start by checking your dipstick between changes! Maybe it was underfilled to start out with.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

oil

im the new guy on the site so maybe what i got to say is not all that great.but forget the book and forget going else where for your subi to change your oil i find that in my 05 wrx that 5qt of oil does it and yes the turbo can burn off oil over time.so you do want to check it.
    Hey.

I never really had any oil consumption issues other than when my oil return line on my turbo was blowing oil all over the place. It's good practice to check every fillup or every other fill up.

I Support ClubWRX
    You should not overfill. 4.5 - 4.75 quarts is perfect for the 2.0 liter turbo (4.8 is in the manual).
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fino22
    How can I prevent it from burning oil?
    What brand and viscosity was used, and in what volume? Every motor consumes some oil whether the quantity used is detectable by the end user or not. The first thing I'd do is figure out if your car is filled to the correct level now, record the mileage, and check weekly. See what your true consumption is and go from there. If it's reasonable but you want less (say if it's less than 1 l per oil change but you want less than 200 ml per oil change or better) then a change in brands may help. If it's more than 1 l per oil change I'd look at mechanical issues. A clogged PCV, loose oil line to turbo, other leak, etc. -- the simple stuff first.

In any case there's no reason not to know exactly what's in the sump every week. Start there first.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

oil consumption

i use mobil one and the turbo does burn up oil up to half a quart in almost 2-3weeks and its a daily driver?thanks for the suggestion and info.
    Hey.

I use mobil1 10w30 synthetic. Great oil, really brings the car back to life if I havent changed it for 3000 mi. (which I do, if not before), I just wasnt sure if it were normal to burn a little oil. I probably should check it when I put in gas since that seems to be an easy time. I also wasnt sure if my cobb ap had anything to do with it. No issues with the cobb but wasnt sure if that could be a characteristic when you reflash your ecu and change things up.
    03 WRX MBP
    DB 18g | Megan DP | Gutted UP | Borla CB | Perrin Turbo Inlet | Perrin Big MAF | Walbro FP | Denso Iridiums | Torque Converter | ValveBody | APS TMIC | 680cc FI

I Support ClubWRX
    You might consider the 5W-30 M1 for winter use in MN; check the specs on cold pump temp for 5W vs. 10W at mobil1.com to be sure. When I used to use 10W-30 I'd see around 0.5L use per 3750 miles. I change at 5,000 and use M1 5W-40. When shopping be careful with the new Mobil containers as their lesser oils now resemble M1.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Question Is it time ?

Hi guys .. i have a question that i know it has been answred thousends of times .... (i fell lazy to search for it ) my car has almost the 5K miles on it. and i have read wanderfull things about sintetyc oil... specially the M1 when is a good time to switch ???i have headr some people saying that it is better to wait until the 10K since under that millage the car still under "brake-in"

thanks in advance.

A clogged PCV, loose oil line to turbo, other leak, etc. -- the simple stuff first.
    SDGR, when should the PCV be replaced? I guess if it only costs $3, then why not just replace it...

I had a little too much faith in some posts that I've read in the past about going all the way to 7000 miles before changing my oil and neglected to check my oil. Then yesterday i decided to make sure it was good an noticed only .25" on the dip stick. I proceeded to fill it with a quart of oil. I will certainly be paying more attention. I just figured that with the high quality synthetic oil that it wouldn't burn oil at all. ...

Just to note, I am at about 3000 miles. The volume differences between the L and F on the dip stick is around 1 quart, I am guessing that I burnt off about 1.5 quarts since i changed the oil. ... I checked the oil when the engine was cold. I could be quite a bit wrong if thermal expansion is an issue and if i should have allowed the engine to warm up first.

SDGR or whoever else knows about this, since i put a quart of fresh oil into the engine, and i still have my eyes set on going to 6k-7k miles before changing it out, would it be a good idea to have an oil analysis done at lets say 4k? Or would the dilution of contaminants with a fresh quart of oil screw up the analasis?

Fino22, sorry for asking my own questions in your post. I these are good questions that might apply to you as well as others too.

Thanks!
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentH
    SDGR, when should the PCV be replaced?
    I don't remember if the manual states when to replace it. I replace them when they stop working. This is rarely in my cars but they do clog and/or their little hose fails etc. They can be a source of oil consumption, that's why I mentioned it.

I had a little too much faith in some posts that I've read in the past about going all the way to 7000 miles before changing my oil and neglected to check my oil. Then yesterday i decided to make sure it was good an noticed only .25" on the dip stick. I proceeded to fill it with a quart of oil. I will certainly be paying more attention. I just figured that with the high quality synthetic oil that it wouldn't burn oil at all. ...
    I've had analysis done and would not hesitate to go that far on my chosen oil in my car with my habits. YMMV. In any case check once a week; I do even though I don't use any measurable quantity. What if something fails or loosens or something else juicy comes out? Checking once a week is a safer plan. The manual says something along the lines of checking at every fuel stop.

Just to note, I am at about 3000 miles. The volume differences between the L and F on the dip stick is around 1 quart, I am guessing that I burnt off about 1.5 quarts since i changed the oil. ... I checked the oil when the engine was cold. I could be quite a bit wrong if thermal expansion is an issue and if i should have allowed the engine to warm up first.
    It's hard to get an accurate reading on our cars and thermal expansion can be an issue depending on the oil you used. Pick a time to check, cold or warm or whatever, and be consistent about it. Then see what you have to put in.

SDGR or whoever else knows about this, since i put a quart of fresh oil into the engine, and i still have my eyes set on going to 6k-7k miles before changing it out, would it be a good idea to have an oil analysis done at lets say 4k? Or would the dilution of contaminants with a fresh quart of oil screw up the analasis?
    The fresh oil will boost the additive package of the oil left in the motor. It will mess up the results a bit. So will trying to get meaningful data on a brand new motor, since there will be so many wear metals in there that it's hard to tell what's normal and what's not. Statistically, it's almost always "normal" since most motors do this when breaking in and most motors do not fail as a result. Check for a thread by 04.SPT.WRX, who did analyses early on to establish a pattern. His numbers were a little elevated at first and then dropped off as the miles went up. I didn't bother with analysis until 30,000 and won't bother again until my warranty is almost up -- I got enough information to know when to drain the oil and that the motor is fine with that drain interval. Sure, I might miss something an analysis every 5,000 might have caught, but that's life. You might want to wait until after 10K or so to start, and certainly until after you go through the first "early" mandated oil changes. You can't go 7,000 on this oil change at this mileage anyway, as the manual dictates earlier changes before 10K or so -- have a look to be sure.