Help a layperson who did something stupid; Regular gas in a diesel car

This is a discussion on Help a layperson who did something stupid; Regular gas in a diesel car within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know that questions like these don't belong in forums like this one, but I'm desperate! If anyone could help ...

Help a layperson who did something stupid; Regular gas in a diesel car

I know that questions like these don't belong in forums like this one, but I'm desperate! If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it a lot. I don't know the first thing about cars .

I was driving my sister's car, which I wasn't aware was a diesel fueled car, and I saw I was getting low on gas so I pulled into a gas station, filled her on up, and then after 5.5 gallons thought to myself.... hey, I know my sister was interested in buying a diesel powered car, I should call her and make sure I'm not wrecking her car.

So I called her, and sure enough - I was supposed to fill her on up with diesel. I knew not to drive with it like that, so I turned on the car and coasted into a parking spot that was down a small incline in front of me.

I locked the car and got a friend to be a chauffeur of sorts . So the car was only turned on for about 15 seconds while it had regular gas in it, and I coasted to the spot, I never touched the accelerator.

Can I just syphon the gas out of the car and fill her up with diesel and be on my merry way? Or do I have to go get the car fixed and pay loads of money.

I am 18, I can't afford to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to get this repaired!

Help is greatly appreciated,

Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

get that gas out of ther asap it will blow a head gasket if notuse a 3/4 inch hose u can buy a sypone ( cant spell ) pump at home depot or be a man and suck it out ur self

Or you could drop the gas tank, and empty the gas into a large container.

Good luck.
    04 Pearl Black STi-
    GT35R...

*88 Mustang Foxbody-
    Not Stock!!=475RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Get some kneepads and open your mouth

my parents rented a car in france that was diesel... and proceeded to put regular gas in it. they actually drove it though and it went boom. hopefully you caught the problem early enough though and your story wont end the same.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Yeah, man. There's an Exxon station in Reisterstown, MD (right by where I live) that had diesel in the 87 Octane petrol pumps a couple days ago. It wreaked with a lot of people's cars, for sure.

Definitely siphon it out. Despite that you never touched the accelerator, the engine idling still pulled a little gas out of the tank. If I were you, I'd call a trusted shop and get their opinion.Good luck, man!
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    [QUOTE=kevlarcupid]Yeah, man. There's an Exxon station in Reisterstown, MD (right by where I live) that had diesel in the 87 Octane petrol pumps a couple days ago. It wreaked with a lot of people's cars, for sure.

QUOTE]

Ha...I use that exxon every once in awhile....always use premuim and plus in my daily drive......Not to hijack this thread but do you have a wrx? and if so do you fill up there? and if so what is your milage.....Mine is always a little worst when I use there gas.

As to the thread starter....the tank needs to be drained and you need to change the fuel filter. Nothing bad probaly happened off of a few seconds of running as the gas probaly sung to the bottom of the tank and didnt get used right away......MAKE SURE THEY CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER....It will probaly be under 200 bucks depending on where you get the work done at and how much the tow bill is.....live and learn.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by bklSTi
    Or you could drop the gas tank, and empty the gas into a large container.

Good luck.
    + 1. Or do the Home Depot idea. Just don't drive the car and you will be fine.
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Ha...I use that exxon every once in awhile....always use premuim and plus in my daily drive......Not to hijack this thread but do you have a wrx? and if so do you fill up there? and if so what is your milage.....Mine is always a little worst when I use there gas.
    Well, I just got my WRX a couple weeks ago, and I've never filled it there. But, I filled up my Jeep and my ex's neon there, and yeah I did see a little worse mileage, actually. I stopped using that station, and used Hess almost exclusively because of that! Bastards....
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics