strange noise after turning car off
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on strange noise after turning car off within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got home from work today and when I turned off my car I could hear this high pitch screeching ...

strange noise after turning car off

I got home from work today and when I turned off my car I could hear this high pitch screeching noise. Like what you hear when your tv is on but muted, but a little louder. I start poking around and it is coming from under my hood! The car is off, the keys are in my pocket, but itís making a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise. I cant determine where its coming from in the hood, sounds like somewhere from the alternator to the turbo on that side. Any ideas? I donít see any fluid leaking.. I guess if it does it again tomorrow I will have to bring it in. I parked away from my house in case it bursts into flames tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All i hear usually is the "ping" sound as the car cools down. Never heard of a "weeee" sound.

When my TV is on mute i dont hear a thing.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

Yea I know the cooling noise, its not that. Its a high pitch screech. almost so high pitched that you cant hear it.

I have an '04 and hear a high pitch (very high frequency) noise for a second or two when the key is turned to auxiliary, but once the car is turned over its gone. I have never heard it while or after shutting the engine off though...

If thats the same noise I'm interested too, not that its an issue for me but I do not know the source.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7

When my TV is on mute i dont hear a thing.
    You just aren't special then .

On standard TVs... "Because the electron beam is painting all 525 lines 30 times per second, it paints a total of 15,750 lines per second. (Some people can actually hear this frequency as a very high-pitched sound emitted when the television is on.)" --HowStuffWorks

I'm with him, I hear it and it annoys the crap out of me.

The sound when you turn the key is probobly the fuel pump? I also noticed a bit of coolant on the ground (and my coolant tank was on low). I brought it in and the dealer couldn;t find the leak. But he said (not sure how true this is) that the coolant to the turbo continues to flow after the car is turned off for a few minutes, it uses the pressure from the radiator to force the coolant through it. He claims the noise I heard was the fluid going throught the valve, but I am not sure how it never happened before, unless the coolant was so low that it got an airbuble or something. I guess i will drive it till I see another coolant puddle and then leave it for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitreous

On standard TVs... "Because the electron beam is painting all 525 lines 30 times per second, it paints a total of 15,750 lines per second. (Some people can actually hear this frequency as a very high-pitched sound emitted when the television is on.)" --HowStuffWorks

I hear it too! The TV that is... At my parent's house the light over the kitchen table that is on a dimmer and unless the switch is set to the highest setting, I hear a high pitched noise.

As for what's happening to your car... I have no idea. I've never noticed it, but I'll listen for it because I seem to have the gift of hearing.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitreous

yup.. some people can hear it, some people can't. For fun in electronics class, we used a small speaker and a frequencey generator in a class room and used varying frequencies to see if it would get on anyone's nerves. It ended up only about 2 or 3 out of 10 people could hear it. Same thing with the car..

but as for what makes the noise

Quote Originally Posted by thestruuus View Post
    I got home from work today and when I turned off my car I could hear this high pitch screeching noise. Like what you hear when your tv is on but muted, but a little louder. I start poking around and it is coming from under my hood! The car is off, the keys are in my pocket, but itís making a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise. I cant determine where its coming from in the hood, sounds like somewhere from the alternator to the turbo on that side. Any ideas? I donít see any fluid leaking.. I guess if it does it again tomorrow I will have to bring it in. I parked away from my house in case it bursts into flames tomorrow.
    I have a 2006 WRX and today when I got home from work I heard this noise as well. I thought that it sounded like an electronic sound (like when the TV is on mute). Then what proved that was, I disconnected the battery and the sound went away. Reconnected it and now the sound is back. Did you ever figure this out or is your car still making this sound?

Thumbs up High pitch noise

I have an 04 WRX and it started to make that high pitched noise today. I called the dealer and they said they have had a few customers come in with that same thing. They determined it is the key fob module behind the radiator that makes the chirp sound when you use your key fob. They said that the module corodes if it is exposed to the elements over time, and that its a known issue. They told me it takes about a half hour to take the old unit out, and that the part is not to expensive. They though it was about a $90.00 job? I was going to bring it to them to work on, but it stopped making the noise after I started the car and let it run for a bit. I imagine that it will do it again soon, but dont want to make the trip all the way to the dealer unless I am sure they will hear it!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.