Hard Break-In: Agree or Disagree?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hard Break-In: Agree or Disagree? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, Today is my first day on the board, and I'm counting down the days until my STi arrives. ...

Hard Break-In: Agree or Disagree?

Hi everyone,

Today is my first day on the board, and I'm counting down the days until my STi arrives. Now I know there are alot of break-in posts, I've done the search and there is almost 6 pages of it, so please don't jump the gun and tell me to do the search as many people tend to do.

I'm sure many of you have seen this article before, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on it. I'm sure this will be helpful for all the noobs on this board as well:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

In short, "MotoMan" states that the best way to break-in a car for reliability AND power is to run it hard from day 1. He says that it is crucial to change the oil after 20 miles to clean out the metal debris, and to vary the RPM especially in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. It makes sense to me, but I make no claims that I am an expert. What does everyone think? I want to hear from everyone, especially "experts".

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting but if it were my car, I'd read the manual and follow the manufacturer's recommendation for break in and maintenance.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+1 for what the manual says.

I agree with not doing a hard break-in. I broke it in like the dealer told me to and the car runs great.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

+2 for the manual.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

My response to the manual...........

The manufacturer doesnt want to deal with the legality involved with telling drivers to break the car in with aggressive driving.........legally you should drive slow regardless of the car. This is why the manual says what it says.

Now if you go back in time to when they didnt care so much about legality........with the old Hemi they told you to break it in hard, depending on how you would be driving it. Similar to the article that was posted.

Im just finishing up a new engine at the moment, and I already have my plan for the break in. Im going to start it and do the whole idle thing etc......then do a conservative road tune/dyno tune immediately..........then change the oil (stick with dyno). At this point I now take it easy on the engine for the remaining 1k miles, varying my RPM's and staying away from prolonged highway drives. As the mileage increases I will also raise my RPM limit, starting at 4-5krpm and working my way up (8krpm limit).
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

I Support ClubWRX
    The engineers know more about my engine than I ever will. I trust their expertise and recommendations on break-in method.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

My response to the manual...........

The manufacturer doesnt want to deal with the legality involved with telling drivers to break the car in with aggressive driving.........legally you should drive slow regardless of the car. This is why the manual says what it says.

Now if you go back in time to when they didnt care so much about legality........with the old Hemi they told you to break it in hard, depending on how you would be driving it. Similar to the article that was posted.

Im just finishing up a new engine at the moment, and I already have my plan for the break in. Im going to start it and do the whole idle thing etc......then do a conservative road tune/dyno tune immediately..........then change the oil (stick with dyno). At this point I now take it easy on the engine for the remaining 1k miles, varying my RPM's and staying away from prolonged highway drives. As the mileage increases I will also raise my RPM limit, starting at 4-5krpm and working my way up (8krpm limit).

Just bought (200 Miles) on a 06 STI, Black with Silver, and will follow this thread almost
    to the letter.

PS.........Will post pic....in another forum when I get a chance to clean it. NE winters
    make the car look like s(&^t.

in all my new cars and the engines i built for my camaros, i break them in the way i drive them. never have I had a problem. but when we got the wrx, my wife drives it 95% of the time so it got broken in easy. i did drive it hard the second day we had it though. the thing was pinging like crazy. the dealer told my wife to run 87 octane in it so she filled the tank with it. good thing i noticed before she blew holes in the pistons.
    2004 WRX WRBlue 4EAT (my wifes car)

thanks guys for your advice and suggestion. i had a long chat with my mechanic that has a wealth of experience with STi's. his advise is just to drive it "normally" for 5000 KM. his defintion of normal is not to baby it, and not to drive it like you stole it. just drive like the average person would drive under normal circumstances. then after 5000 KM, change the oil to remove the metal debris.

the article was very interesting but i just can't go against my mechanic's advise, especially with a car that costs over $50,000 on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by FlySTi
    thanks guys for your advice and suggestion. i had a long chat with my mechanic that has a wealth of experience with STi's. his advise is just to drive it "normally" for 5000 KM. his defintion of normal is not to baby it, and not to drive it like you stole it. just drive like the average person would drive under normal circumstances. then after 5000 KM, change the oil to remove the metal debris.

the article was very interesting but i just can't go against my mechanic's advise, especially with a car that costs over $50,000 on the road!

ummmmm.......who scammed you into paying over $50k on an STI
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

He's in Canada, which still is high... but I've heard that's how much they cost... they must tax the hell out of vehicles or something.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

+ Another for the manual recommendation.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    The engineers know more about my engine than I ever will. I trust their expertise and recommendations on break-in method.
    I agree. Ever read the story on the Evo that was in 2gay 2curious? They beat it from day one and now it doesn't run near ( I hear something like mid to high 14's in the 1/4 ) the numbers in the 1/4 mile that it should. I would break her in per the directions in the manual.

Jake

*No expert, but a lil' edjumacated when it comes to cars.

Quote Originally Posted by FlySTi

Your mechanic has probably given you the best advise. Basically use common sense. I've not had a vehicle in the last 20 years that hasn't run less than 200K. I certainly didn't baby them, but didn't use the rev limiter to shift. Enjoy your car and quit worring. you'll give yourself an ulcer. 50,000 WOW!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast