Hard Break-In: Agree or Disagree? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Hard Break-In: Agree or Disagree? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; in talking with our techs when i bought my new Subaru models (WRX and LGT), they said that the granny ...

in talking with our techs when i bought my new Subaru models (WRX and LGT), they said that the granny break in was not what they would do...they said to drive it like i am going to drive it so that it "learns" how i drive, where i shift, etc.

the newer engines and technology are not like they used to be.

They also say to get 7000 miles or more before using synthetic so that you let all of the seals set properly.

i have purchased two new subarus in the past 9 months, driven both pretty hard from the start and had 0 problems.

there may not be a right or wrong way to do it when you get a new car between the two suggestions this thread is about, but personally I drive mine from mile 0 (actually about mile 10 since i have never seen any car with 0 miles at a dealership) like i am always going to drive it... "spirited"

As mentioned in other parts of this, they also say not to use the cruise control and to make sure you vary your speeds and rpms in the first 1000 miles, but to otherwise drive it like you want it drive and how you will drive it in the years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

make this a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by DEADPOOL
    ummmmm.......who scammed you into paying over $50k on an STI
    The car in Canada is $48,995 MSRP. Add in freight, PDI, and an outrageous 15% sales tax and you are way over $50,000. I got a good deal compared to other people in Canada, but I'm sure the STi is cheaper south of the border.

Quote Originally Posted by FlySTi
    The car in Canada is $48,995 MSRP. Add in freight, PDI, and an outrageous 15% sales tax and you are way over $50,000. I got a good deal compared to other people in Canada, but I'm sure the STi is cheaper south of the border.

OUCH! I have our white one on sale for about $31k.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I Support ClubWRX

Back on topic

Thinking about this it occurs to me that running a motor hard isn't good for it under any circumstances -- so it cannot be good for the motor when new either...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Thinking about this it occurs to me that running a motor hard isn't good for it under any circumstances -- so it cannot be good for the motor when new either...
    Umm......it's fine to run a car hard.....and is actually good for it now and then. Why even buy these cars if your not going to run it through the whole rpm band
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Very true. The best thing you could ever do for a car is to never drive it.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.