Power Steering
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Power Steering within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am annoyed as to how and why it happened to my car. I'm having problem with the power steering. ...

Power Steering

I am annoyed as to how and why it happened to my car.

I'm having problem with the power steering. In the area where I live, u-turns are a normal turns to make everytime I drive. Our front yard is the main street and a street divider is in place. I just found out through my research that having the steering wheel in the lock position will damage the power steering pump, but I never knew that it could damage that particular part until few days ago when this started happening. I looked for possible leaks, but none is found. I followed the lines and I still found no leaks. The liquid level is in the right level, so that's a sign of no leakage.

I noticed when I rock the steering wheel right and left, the rpm would rise and engine noise is affected. The boost gauge needle is also flactuating as I rock the steering wheel back and forth. I drive it around and the steering is definitely not the way it should be. There's even couple of times that the power steering is completly gone for a few seconds, then it will function again. The functionality of the PS is on and off. I will bring my car to the dealership to have it fixed.

But before I do, is there anything else that I might've failed to check? If so, please let me know, so I can do one last thing before I do bring my car in for a fix.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    I am annoyed as to how and why it happened to my car.

I'm having problem with the power steering. In the area where I live, u-turns are a normal turns to make everytime I drive. Our front yard is the main street and a street divider is in place. I just found out through my research that having the steering wheel in the lock position will damage the power steering pump, but I never knew that it could damage that particular part until few days ago when this started happening. I looked for possible leaks, but none is found. I followed the lines and I still found no leaks. The liquid level is in the right level, so that's a sign of no leakage.

I noticed when I rock the steering wheel right and left, the rpm would rise and engine noise is affected. The boost gauge needle is also flactuating as I rock the steering wheel back and forth. I drive it around and the steering is definitely not the way it should be. There's even couple of times that the power steering is completly gone for a few seconds, then it will function again. The functionality of the PS is on and off. I will bring my car to the dealership to have it fixed.

But before I do, is there anything else that I might've failed to check? If so, please let me know, so I can do one last thing before I do bring my car in for a fix.

have you checked the belt? it may be really loose or just worn out. if thats not the case then you maybe need a new pump.

I've checked the belt, and everything seemed to be ok. I already brought my car to the dealership and waiting for their call. I will keep this updated.

As it turned out, the steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. I didn't get the full detail as how or what the possible reason maybe. I will get my car back either Monday or Tuesday. It's a long wait, but it's ok, as long as my car is going to get fixed.

I miss my car!

had the same problem..

sorry to hear bout that cuz i went through the same problem too. Well im my case, the weather condition was really icy and i lose controll of my vehicle. I spun out my car. The very next day i could hear the power steering pumping real hard. So i took it to the dealership asap. They told me that my power steering rack went out and it was not covered by my warrenty due to my tanabe lowering spring. They tried to charge me $2100. At that time i thought it was expensive but I've looked everywhere. It actually was the cheapest place. The main problem was that after i dropped my car the rack wasn't lined up. So i just traded in my car for a 2006 wrx tr. I guess that fixed the problem. but newayz i hope ur having better luck with urs.

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    I've checked the belt, and everything seemed to be ok. I already brought my car to the dealership and waiting for their call. I will keep this updated.
    How much mileage do you have???
    *Cobb Stg. II/93*

Quote Originally Posted by jihoon85
    So i just traded in my car for a 2006 wrx tr. I guess that fixed the problem. but newayz i hope ur having better luck with urs.
    Yea, it sucks when things break! Anyway, when you traded in your WRX for the 06 model, did you have to come up with any money for a downpayment or anything like that?

I have 9.5k miles on my car. Why did you ask scooby_wooby?
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 01-05-2006 at 10:26 PM.

i'm just wondering.. thats very unusual to have your steering rack replaced
    *Cobb Stg. II/93*

Quote Originally Posted by scooby_wooby
    i'm just wondering.. thats very unusual to have your steering rack replaced
    I know what you mean! I was shocked when it happened. I drive my car with care and of course, who doesn't drive their car spiritedly once in a while?! But other than that, I've not hit any curb or even run on a deep pot hole or anything that can damage that part. I guess it's just plain defect on the factory part.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 01-05-2006 at 10:32 PM.

My car had about 56,000 miles on it. But i did extend my warrenty though a third party company. Once i taded in my car you can actually cancell the warrenty and get some of your money back as well as the gap protection company. So i just went out and used that money for downpayment. For the most part the payment is around the same and will we payed off same time too. I live in seattle, but the dealership i went too we great. They were the ones who helped me get my money back.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.