Idle drop question

This is a discussion on Idle drop question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I searched for this but could not find anything. I recently noticed this (and I am not sure ...

Idle drop question

Hi all,

I searched for this but could not find anything. I recently noticed this (and I am not sure it the car did this all the time) when I come to a stop, put in the clutch the idle will sometimes drop just a wee little below 500 and then go to 500. Just curiouse if this is normal. The car is a 04 WRX wagon with a little over 13k on it. I recently changed the air filter (it is in right...PITA for me) and went to mobil synth. oil level is good. It runs great, just wondering if anyone experiences this also.

Also, what does everyone get as a reading on the stock boost gauge at idle? Going to replace that soon with an omori in PSI Dang thing reads off zero when off pfft

Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR (and be carefull!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You might mean 700-750 not 550 or lower. If your tach is like mine it's easy to misread anything below 1K. Normal idle is ~750 and what you are describing is normal if you've misread the tach.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

cool thanks!!! I will check again. it looks to be in the "middle" of 0 anf 1000. IT idles smooth though.
    Thanks again......I feel better now

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's in the "middle" then it's probably in the 700s since the tach starts at 500 or so. Normal. The car might shudder and rumble just a little at idle too, which is also normal.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, for any car you want it to idle as low as it will idle smoothly. So if yours is smooth you're good. You only have an idle problem if it's low and rough or want to idle too high.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Having your car on defrost activates the ac compressor which will make your idle surge, then drop- only took me two years to figure that out
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Having your car on defrost activates the ac compressor which will make your idle surge, then drop- only took me two years to figure that out
    ^ THIS! You nailed it!
    Thank you!

[My WRX '04, there was a surge & drop every few seconds in idle (cold or hot), sounded like pressing on the gas pedal, but the RPM stayed low, hardly moved at all. The oil gauge would bounce up then drop every few seconds, along with the sound of a fan activating somewhere. The defrost was indeed on.]
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    internet is a great tool
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman