Changing Power Steering Fluid

This is a discussion on Changing Power Steering Fluid within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can someone explain how to do it? The maintenance FAQ doesn't go into this. It's pretty simple probably, but I ...

Changing Power Steering Fluid

Can someone explain how to do it? The maintenance FAQ doesn't go into this. It's pretty simple probably, but I just haven't looked for the drain nut yet. Was hoping someone on here could point it out before I tackle it tomorrow. Also, what's a good power steering fluid to use? THanks!
    02 WRX - XS Power header/UP/TBE, XS Power FMIC, MBC@15psi, Ported TD04L, Perrin shortram, Alum Radiator - 13.35@101
    05 Mini Cooper S - Bone stock
    95 Mustang GT conv. (Work In Progress) - BBK LT headers & h-pipe, dumped Flowmasters, Kirban AFPR, BBK subframe braces, 6-point rollcage, FMS springs, 70/30 struts, 50/50 shocks, K&N intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I looked in the FSM and it appears to be somewhat of a pain in the ass and would be easier w/ two people (much like bleeding brakes)- also a good chance to introduce air into the system (which requires further bleeding). So I looked around for an alternative- several guys use a turkey baster or the like to suck up when they can of the reservoir and then fill. Repeat after a day (driving) and then again until your quart of ATF is used up (~ four times). This gets the majority of the fluid swapped out.

My turkey baster didn't fit, so I found what appears to be even easier way- simply remove the reservoir from the bracket (pretty self explanatory when you look at it- remove the air scoop first)- the hoses are long enough you can take a small container and simply pour the fluid out. Mine was pretty brownish looking the first go round, looking better each time

I used M1 syn ATF
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

i do the turkey baster way
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    try the "pour" method next time- no fuss- no muss
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman