Which battery to get?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which battery to get? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive searched around and havent found to much. Now that the weather is getting colder my stock battery is showing ...

Which battery to get?

Ive searched around and havent found to much. Now that the weather is getting colder my stock battery is showing its age. I would like to get a good battery that is hopefully lighter than stock. From looking around an Optima Red Top seems to be a good choice but how much does it weigh? Im not a weight freak but if Im going to be changing out the battery I might as well get something lighter. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by PolarisSnT; 12-14-2005 at 05:13 PM.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisSnT
    Ive searched around and havent found to much. Now that the weather is getting colder my stock battery is showing its age. I would like to get a good battery that is hopefully lighter than stock. From looking around an Optima Red Top seems to be a good choice but how much does it weight? Im not a weight freak but if Im going to be changing out the battery I might as well get something lighter. Any thoughts?
    If I remember correctly, my Optima was quite heavy. It's hard to beat the cranking power though.

don't get that braille bull**** in tri-state weather... i found out... quickly ditched it for my optima red top. same weight as stock but at leats I don't have to worry about a thing.

I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.performancedistributors.com/batteries.htm

These are light. Remember though that there's a reason that ALL car manufacturers use wet cell and gel cellbatteries
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    http://www.performancedistributors.com/batteries.htm

These are light. Remember though that there's a reason that ALL car manufacturers use wet cell and gel cellbatteries
    Care to elaborate on that? I dont know much about batteries so any information will be helpful. Thanks
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

If I were you I would run a deep cycle battery like a Optima Battery either a Red Top or a Yellow Top...
    they use gel and make everything run smoother and lights brighter plus if you leave your lights on esp overnight that is probably the only battery that will let you start your car

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...nfig/home.html
    Lift it and Fat Chicks can't Jump In

Quote Originally Posted by lwild17380
    plus if you leave your lights on esp overnight that is probably the only battery that will let you start your car

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...nfig/home.html
    i'm pretty sure someone at Subaru thought about morons who leave their lights on and WRX shots them off when key is out of the ingnition
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisSnT
    Care to elaborate on that? I dont know much about batteries so any information will be helpful. Thanks
    Sorry, didn't see this until now.

The reason they use them is that they're just way more reliable. Other technologies don't do well in cold weather, often don't retain a charge over long periods of time, etc. Lead-acid last a long time, will hold a charge indefinitely if nothing is drawing on them and the modern ones will go to extreme low temperatures without a problem. InfamousDX apparently found this out the hard way and this is why everyone is recomending Optima. Gel really kicks-butt from a reliability standpoint. ++++ For the lack of liquid acid to boil over and corrode everything underneath it.

You're right, a case can be made for saving weight in the battery, but car makers know that what 99.9% of drivers want is a car that starts reliably. My experience is that people who go to other technologies switch back the first time it leaves them stranded, as invariably happens. I have known a couple of guys who are willing to put up with it. A freind of mine had a CRX with a light battery, and his justification was that the car was so light he could push start it by himself on level ground. Which is the same reason I ran my CRX on a gimpy old battery for 6 months in college........

So you just have to decide what level of pain you're willing to tolerate. And think about it realistically........a lot of people don't in my experience (just like people who build race cars for the street often regret it later).
    Last edited by GV27; 01-23-2006 at 10:29 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

im personally partiial to interstate ( same company who makes opitma) only difference is one is a gel cell other is not. so really if you wanted to mount your optima upside down you can . but also i dont feel liek spending like 150 or whatevrt he cost is for a optima. the interstate wa sliek half the price wheni bougth one for my Honda CRV. i plan on upgrading to an interstate again . Just because we had 2 optimas died on us. and this was for normal use too...

Interstate doesn't "make" anything, they're the marketing entity for
    Johnson Controls, who makes most of their flooded lead acid batteries.
    Optima Batteries are manufactured in Aurora Colorado and currently
    are owned by Johnson Controls..... they were originally designed in
    Denver by a couple of engineers at Gates Rubber. The original
    batteries said Gates right on the label.
    Ok, that's enough hair-splitting today

I Support ClubWRX
    Optimas are $110 at Advance Auto Parts.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Wink

Would this battery be powerful to everyday power an 06 WRX?
    Anyone have any experience with this battery or Braille auto battery in particular? Would AZ heat be an issue?
    http://shop.edoperformance.com/brail...ry-p-9143.html

Ps...

It is not the exact same model as the link above, but here on hspn.tv, they did the following review on a STI with a Braille auto battery that weighs 10 lbs. Anyone have one of these? Would you recommend them/any experiences with one?
    http://videos.hspn.com/?videoid=11&catid=1

Along with the video link above^^^ I saw that the Braille auto battery weighs only 11 pounds, and yet still makes 900 amp power!
    Anyone know anything about this battery/have one in their Suby?

Is this a battery you need to recharge?

they sell the same Deka ETX14 (same as Braille) battery for $75 at autozone and discount auto with one year free exchange, I just installed mine tonight:

SnowMann Tuned
    special thanks to:
    www.Aquamist.co.uk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast