Which battery to get? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which battery to get? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX WOw, I clicked on your link and read the link to the 'testing'. Sounds interesting. For ...

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX View Post
    WOw, I clicked on your link and read the link to the 'testing'. Sounds interesting.

For those wondering, read the Braille and Deka testing here:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2353060&page=1

Is 338 CCH good for our WRX (produced by the 11.4 lb. battery? What does the stock battery produce?

I saw the 15 pound battery makes 499 CCH.

DJerickd, thanks for the links and input. I tried going to autozone's website to find the Deka, but I couldn't. Do you know of or have alink of it on autozone or checker's website? Thanks for the help; I like the idea of buying it from autozone, so if I have a problem I can simply take it back, AND get it for cheaper (60-75 dollars it sounds like, versus Braille $160). I just want to make sure that it will meet or surpass the power my 06 WRX will require, ALONG with being able to offer so much significant weight loss.

That is what I was trying to tell you earlier. pulse/reg. amps, are not the same and as near as important as CCA's. 338CCA is not nearly enough to crank over your engine, espically if you get cold weather. I'm sure your owners manual will tell you the CCA, if it's not listed on the Batt it's self. Most car now-a-days have at LEAST 550CCA.

To me it's not worth the sacarfices you will make or the problems you will encounter, to save weight with a batt. unless you are a pure race car. Look into some lightweight weels, cont. arms, carbon trunk lid, carbon rear doors, ect. Plus that is way too expensive for a batt. I say go OEM or equal. That way when you buy a batt from the dealer, you will get a no hassle, at least 48month warranty. And a lot of places offer a 84month warranty, I know that my work offers the 84month. Plus you can get free starting/charging/electrical tests done when you have the batt. replaced or when ever you want. Just make sure you mention that you bought the batt there and you think there is an issue with it and you have a warranty on it.
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    pulse/reg. amps, are not the same and as near as important as CCA's. 338CCA is not nearly enough to crank over your engine, espically if you get cold weather.

Look into some lightweight weels, cont. arms, carbon trunk lid, carbon rear doors, ect. Plus that is way too expensive for a batt. I say go OEM or equal.
    Well, I agree and I am concerned about having enough power to 'power' the WRX, along with the limited moonroof and accessories. But as much as it is expensive for a battery, carbon rear doors? I don't even think they make those, and if they do (or to go custom) would be crazy expensive. I already high lightweight wheels, but if the braille or similar battery (either the 11.4 or 15 pound battery) could make at least as much power as stock, then I would be all over it. That is what I am trying to figure out.

Anyone know the CCA of a stock battery?

Thanks for the input so far everyone; keep it coming!!!

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Odyssey Battery:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680mjt.htm

It is suppose to be far more reliable than the Brailles.

Quote Originally Posted by djerickd View Post
    whew that's pricey
    But it comes with a trick mounting system too.

Not a zip tie!

Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

Zip ties and Duct Tape FTW!!
    SnowMann Tuned
    special thanks to:
    www.Aquamist.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by djerickd View Post
    Zip ties and Duct Tape FTW!!

Maybe some angle iron and threaded rod!

Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

Quote Originally Posted by wizzman View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the Odyssey Battery:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680mjt.htm

It is suppose to be far more reliable than the Brailles.
    That battery looks pretty good, and the power looks decent. Auto terminals and two year warranty? Not bad. Anyone run one of these, and does it make as much or close to stock (amps, or CCA)?

Also, I heard that the SPT battery tie down works well with these smaller batties, as it is flat and flush against the top of the batteries.

*update*

Well, I helped my neighbor add water to his battery in his Nissan Maxima. His nissan battery on its label had a 550 CCA rating, so I looked up the cca for the pc680MJT that was recommended. Here is the link to the tech page and you can scroll down and see its amps:http://www.odysseybatteries.com/tech.htm

The PC680 makes 680 for 5 seconds, 595 for 10 seonds, and 525 for twenty. So if the WRX needs similar of less CCA than a v6 Maxima, then we should be ok. Only question now is, what is the CCA or amps on a stock Subaru battery?

To weigh only 11.4 pounds and still get power would be good, but I would want to buy it from a local autoparts store, so if anything went wrong in the first year, I could simply take it back. But if you want to save 10-15 pounds and give up no power, this model looks good too. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925.htm

So what do you think? Looks good? Anyone know the stock battery cca? Thanks for your input!

*update*

I called the Subaru dealership, and the stock battery makes 550 amps, so the above battery with 680, 595, and 525 for 5, 10, and twenty seconds respectively, would be adequite, would it not? Anyone?

Should be fine. The only exceptions would be somewhere like Phoenix in
    the summer or upstate Michigan in the dead of winter
    The Phoenix deal will kill the life of the battery from heat and the Michigan
    scenario means the engine may not start at 15 below.

Quote Originally Posted by AKESREX View Post
    Should be fine. The only exceptions would be somewhere like Phoenix inthe summer or upstate Michigan in the dead of winter
    The Phoenix deal will kill the life of the battery from heat and the Michigan
    scenario means the engine may not start at 15 below.
    Yeah, I am afraid the Phoenix heat might be a factor, as we usually have to replace our batties once a year or two years if we are lucky.

But with the pc680 I saw:http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680mjt.htm

It comes with a full 2 year warranty (we need it in Phoenix,) and so I would look to purchase it from a local auto parts store so I could simply return it if there was a problem.

You need a thermal barrier on the battery. That WILL drastically improve
    the life of the battery in an adverse environment. GM uses this 5/16" black
    foam envelope around them in some vehicles for this purpose. It increases
    battery longevity about 35-40%. It won't be pretty, but wrapping some
    Thermo-Tec around the battery will have the exact same effect. You can
    get it at Summit Racing for under $20.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

There's also some pricier materials out that'll about double the battery life.
    They're around $25-$30.
    When I did field warranty stuff for Douglas Battery (BMW/Porsche) we used
    to find that the minute the battery blanket didn't make it back around the
    replacement battery, no matter who made the battery, it basically cut the
    life in half.
    If you cut the radiant heat to the battery it WILL be much happier

Quote Originally Posted by AKESREX View Post
    You need a thermal barrier on the battery. That WILL drastically improve
    the life of the battery in an adverse environment. GM uses this 5/16" black
    foam envelope around them in some vehicles for this purpose. It increases
    battery longevity about 35-40%. It won't be pretty, but wrapping some
    Thermo-Tec around the battery will have the exact same effect. You can
    get it at Summit Racing for under $20.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

There's also some pricier materials out that'll about double the battery life.
    They're around $25-$30.
    When I did field warranty stuff for Douglas Battery (BMW/Porsche) we used
    to find that the minute the battery blanket didn't make it back around the
    replacement battery, no matter who made the battery, it basically cut the
    life in half.
    If you cut the radiant heat to the battery it WILL be much happier
    Sounds good. The stock Subaru battery on my 06 WRX came with a foam 'wrap' around the battery. Was that to keep the battery cool? If so, I should be able to use it and wrap it around the smaller battery (15.4) pounds, correct? If so, it sounds like the Odyssey 680MJT listed above might be good. Now all I need to find is an autoparts store located in Phoenix that carries that battery, so that if it goes bad during the first two years, I can simply bring it back.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX View Post
    Sounds good. The stock Subaru battery on my 06 WRX came with a foam 'wrap' around the battery. Was that to keep the battery cool? If so, I should be able to use it and wrap it around the smaller battery (15.4) pounds, correct? If so, it sounds like the Odyssey 680MJT listed above might be good. Now all I need to find is an autoparts store located in Phoenix that carries that battery, so that if it goes bad during the first two years, I can simply bring it back.
    Insulation is exactly what that foam wrap is for. Just re-use the original
    material on the new battery and you're good to go. The underhood thermal
    mapping the engineers do dictates where the coolest areas are and that's
    where they try to place the batteries. "Coolest" is a relative term however.
    It may be a whole 5 degrees cooler where that battery is, but it's still pretty
    darn hot for a battery..... so they use the foam insulation wrap.
    It looks like Sunbelt Battery in Scottsdale has them and all the Batteries Plus
    locations too. Don't see any auto parts stores listed.

Wink *update*

Problem: Here is a local comapny, but it has the Odyssey PC 680MJT has only 220 CCA! http://www.copperstatebattery.com/odyssey.php

The battery company seems to say that it has enough amps:http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680mjt.htm
    And here is the battery on a supercharged v6 tiburon:
    http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/sho....php?p=1622847

Do you think this PC 680MJT is powerful enough to power a WRX, or should I look at another?

I saw this one:It is an Optima (D51, D51R) that is suppose to be for autos, weighs 26 pounds, and makes 500 CCA, and 625 CA @ 32 degress F. See it here:http://www.copperstatebattery.com/optima.php

It is not that cold here in Phoenix, but it gets really hot in the summer.

I am hoping that Odyssey pc 680MJT will work, since for around the same price of an optima Red or Yellow top, I would get one that is about literally 20-25 pounds lighter than stock. But not if it doesn't have enough power to safely start the WRX or if it will burn out my alternator.

Any input? Any would be appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast