Which battery to get? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

This is a discussion on Which battery to get? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by djerickd they sell the same Deka ETX14 (same as Braille) battery for at autozone and discount ...

  1. #16
    Registered User ArizonaWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by djerickd View Post
    they sell the same Deka ETX14 (same as Braille) battery for $75 at autozone and discount auto with one year free exchange, I just installed mine tonight:


    Looks ok, but the Braille is made as an auto battery (or so they claim,) but it also produces 900 amps. How much does that one make? ($75 is a nice price, but sometimes you seem to get what you pay for.)

    Anyone have a braille auto battery? 11 pounds and 900 amps for slightly more than an Optima red top? SOunds interesting to me...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User djerickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX View Post
    Looks ok, but the Braille is made as an auto battery (or so they claim,) but it also produces 900 amps. How much does that one make? ($75 is a nice price, but sometimes you seem to get what you pay for.)
    it's the same, do a google search. Deka makes these batteries for Braille a battery is a battery...
    SnowMann Tuned
    special thanks to:
    www.Aquamist.co.uk

  4. #18
    Registered User ArizonaWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by djerickd View Post
    it's the same, do a google search. Deka makes these batteries for Braille a battery is a battery...
    So they weigh the same (11 pounds?) But does the autozone one make 900 amps as well?

  5. #19
    Registered User djerickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,164
    PULSE cranking amps yes 900, it's the same battery.
    SnowMann Tuned
    special thanks to:
    www.Aquamist.co.uk

  6. #20
    Registered User ArizonaWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    272

    Wink

    Djerickd, how does it run? Any problems starting up or are you good to go? Does anyone else have this battery or the braille? Any final feedback? If not I will probably go with one of these when my battery dies this summer, I just don't want to worry about stressing the car or alternator. I have an 06 WRX limited with the power moonroof, (I don't know if that makes a difference on the power usage once the car is started,) I just want to get some feedback before I buy this.

  7. #21
    Registered User djerickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,164
    Starts like normal (maybe even faster):

    here's more:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...raille+battery
    SnowMann Tuned
    special thanks to:
    www.Aquamist.co.uk

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    columbus,oh
    Posts
    42
    Want super light? try two 6 volt lantern batteries and report back if your car starts. I wouldnt put a motorcycle or puny emergency door exit battery in my car. The 550 amp oem battery lasted five years in ohios temps of -8 to 100 degrees in my last car. I went out and bought a battery from walmart when it died and guess what, my car started with it. Optima is way overrated and a big wa$te of money. You dont need it. I dont waste money on stuff not needed, that how I paid cash for my car.

  9. #23
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    12,781
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeythejew View Post
    Want super light? try two 6 volt lantern batteries and report back if your car starts. I wouldnt put a motorcycle or puny emergency door exit battery in my car. The 550 amp oem battery lasted five years in ohios temps of -8 to 100 degrees in my last car. I went out and bought a battery from walmart when it died and guess what, my car started with it. Optima is way overrated and a big wa$te of money. You dont need it. I dont waste money on stuff not needed, that how I paid cash for my car.
    Sealed batteries are a dream come true. My 20 year old 280z had rust from the battery perch all the way down along the frame rail but was otherwise totally sound.

  10. #24
    Registered User blackzwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Was Philly, now D-town
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX View Post
    Djerickd, how does it run? Any problems starting up or are you good to go? Does anyone else have this battery or the braille? Any final feedback? If not I will probably go with one of these when my battery dies this summer, I just don't want to worry about stressing the car or alternator. I have an 06 WRX limited with the power moonroof, (I don't know if that makes a difference on the power usage once the car is started,) I just want to get some feedback before I buy this.
    It might have something to do with the battery. I know that some nissan car/vans, like the quest have 2 different batteries that came stock, one had a higher CCA for the modles with navi, power sliding doors, or power hatch. So yes you may have a different battery then other subarus. One that would have more CCA's than a car with out it. As long as you get the same or more CCA's as stock you will be fine. I say that amps is not as important as cold cranking amps.
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

    Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

  11. #25
    Registered User ArizonaWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    272

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    It might have something to do with the battery. I know that some nissan car/vans, like the quest have 2 different batteries that came stock, one had a higher CCA for the modles with navi, power sliding doors, or power hatch. So yes you may have a different battery then other subarus. One that would have more CCA's than a car with out it. As long as you get the same or more CCA's as stock you will be fine. I say that amps is not as important as cold cranking amps.
    Thanks. So far the Braille (while really expensive) seems to have over 900 amps and is only 11.5 pounds seems to be the best, especially when the warranty covers autos.
    Like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brail...spagenameZWDVW

    Djerickd, thanks for posting that link to the other discussion as well.

  12. #26
    Registered User djerickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,164
    just tryin to save you some $$$, don't get that Braille... good luck if you do have to return it to an ebay vendor. with autozone if it's broke, bring it up there and swap it out. they don't care what you were trying to start with it.

    read that link
    SnowMann Tuned
    special thanks to:
    www.Aquamist.co.uk

  13. #27
    Registered User ArizonaWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    272

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by djerickd View Post
    just tryin to save you some $$$, don't get that Braille... good luck if you do have to return it to an ebay vendor. with autozone if it's broke, bring it up there and swap it out. they don't care what you were trying to start with it.

    read that link
    WOw, I clicked on your link and read the link to the 'testing'. Sounds interesting.

    For those wondering, read the Braille and Deka testing here:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2353060&page=1

    Is 338 CCH good for our WRX (produced by the 11.4 lb. battery? What does the stock battery produce?

    I saw the 15 pound battery makes 499 CCH.

    DJerickd, thanks for the links and input. I tried going to autozone's website to find the Deka, but I couldn't. Do you know of or have alink of it on autozone or checker's website? Thanks for the help; I like the idea of buying it from autozone, so if I have a problem I can simply take it back, AND get it for cheaper (60-75 dollars it sounds like, versus Braille $160). I just want to make sure that it will meet or surpass the power my 06 WRX will require, ALONG with being able to offer so much significant weight loss.

  14. #28
    Registered User djerickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,164
    I did find this on Advance site by using a part # etx14:

    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtNumber=ETX14
    SnowMann Tuned
    special thanks to:
    www.Aquamist.co.uk

  15. #29
    Registered User pweizman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    'Nati, Ohio
    Posts
    275
    Try Buschur Racing..

    https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...a60ddd85c6ede5

    Nice kit with everything you need.

    I think some folks over at NASIOC have installed them with good results.

    Later,
    Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

  16. #30
    Registered User djerickd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,164
    whew that's pricey
    SnowMann Tuned
    special thanks to:
    www.Aquamist.co.uk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •