bye bye tranny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on bye bye tranny within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yeah, this just happened about half an hour ago... i was driving down the street going about 45 and i ...

bye bye tranny

yeah, this just happened about half an hour ago... i was driving down the street going about 45 and i went to shift into third gear and when i shifted into it i immediatly heard grinding, so i took it out of gear and it still did it a little bit, but not as much. I stopped, got out, opened my hood, and gave it about 4k rpm rev and it sounded fine, so im pretty f'in sure its my tranny. i was right down the street so i started to drive home, every gear i hear a weird grinding noise, but it drives normal. 3rd gear comes around, i shift into it give it a little gas, car just revs, its like 3rd gear is just gone, but its weird i dont understand. i can shift from 1-2 2-4 then 4-5 and its fine, but 3rd gear is messed up. im taking it to the dealership on monday, anyone know what it could be?
    Edit : forgot to mention ive only had it for a month
    Last edited by RobertH; 12-11-2005 at 01:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Subaru's response was something like this,
    A piece of the 3rd gear chipped off and was going around damaging all the other gears... 3rd gear is totally gone. the whole transmission needs to be replaced and the person we talked to said it will not be covered on our warranty because it was a result of racing and quickshifting, but the owner of the dealership and the manager are going to look at it tomorrow and make the final decision. They say it will cost 4k for a refurb tranny if they dont cover it under warranty.
    I have had the car for 2k miles, and ive punched it about 10 times (only 6-7 of those are actually quickshifts). Even if i had quickshifted around 20 times, is the subaru transmission really that big of a POS? If i get my car back, i am no longer going to add any performance upgrades or go fast anymore, which really pisses me off b/c i was told many good things about subarus being able to kick ass on the track. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Please take a second to answer those 3 questions and leave any comments.

Uhm, if you did a search youd find that its happened to quite a few members here myself included. 4k for a stocker rebuild is just plain ridiculous you can get a ppg rebuild for right around the same price and those gears are virtually unbreakable. Or you could learn to shift and go with an RA gear set (much cheaper).
    - Local Riceist

Oh yeah look through the classifieds (here, nasioc, I know of one @ awdpirates.net for $1k) and youll find stock 5spds for a lot less than $4k
    - Local Riceist

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobVee
    4k for a stocker rebuild is just plain ridiculous you can get a ppg rebuild for right around the same price and those gears are virtually unbreakable. Or you could learn to shift and go with an RA gear set (much cheaper).
    what is ppg and RA, im a car nub :P

Sry to hear about this. what year wrx is it? and shifting to 3rd at 45 mph is pretty high up in the rpms range to say you were not pushing it at all. what is your definition of quick shifting? have you modded the car at all yet?
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

On his profile he says it is a 2005. I'm sorry, but the dealer must have their head up their butts if they think that a tranny can be abused that badly after 2000 miles. Besides, if it was racing, I would think that 1st and 2nd gear would be trashed, not 3rd.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

Quote Originally Posted by Skreekin
    On his profile he says it is a 2005. I'm sorry, but the dealer must have their head up their butts if they think that a tranny can be abused that badly after 2000 miles. Besides, if it was racing, I would think that 1st and 2nd gear would be trashed, not 3rd.
    +1
    i'd argue with them and call your local SOA rep and speak to him or just call SOA at their headquarter. Sure as hell i would not pay out of my own pocket for tranny that went dead with 3rd gear. Just plain stupid to argue that this was done due to racing.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Oh gotta love a warranty where if anything goes wrong they simply say it is impossible uner normal use and blame it on you for racing the car.

And yeah what is your deffinition of quick shifting? If you are shifting without using the clutch or only partially engaging the clutch you are asking for issues.

I concur with arguing with them. I doubt they have the right to void your warranty without real proof of mis-use and "Look it broke, so he must have been doing something wrong" really isn't evidence.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

isht, it's about time that maybe someone in Japan starts to figure out what's going one here in US. Hell if 40% of the cars sold here end up with broken tranny at some point under a warranty, that is a HUGE issue. It's not like 20 cars that were raced at some point that broke. We're talking about probably thousands of cars here. And if they've seen it on a old bugeye models why couldn't they just fix it. Saying that you must've been racing it since it broke is just not an answer to a customer that expects help. Who cares what you've been doing with it if the issue is common??? Same with saying that it wouldn't break if you drove it "normally". WTF is the definition of normal driving??? Is it the way Subaru wants us to drive??? Hell no! If so many cars break, that's the sign that car cannot withstand "normal" driving from average user and normal is the way we drive and not the way subaru wants us. It's always the perception not the intention, that wins.
    End of rant
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Rants are always fun. I believe you should have started off with "Begin rant" though. Yeah it is odd that they build and market it as a quick, powerful, fun to drive car and slap a tranny in it that tends to break if you drive it quick, have fun, or use the power. I love my WRX anyways though and will just pray that the gods of trannies smiles on me.

Maybe Subaru should put a warning on the gas pedal or steering wheel warning the user that "Use of right hand pedal causes undo stress on the transmission and will void warranty. Any change of the state of this pedal from factory settings will be considered a modification and is not covered by warranty."
    New England F4

205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Subaru has still refused to fix the tranny. They blame it on me b/c i am still a teen (17) and think that im a super racer. We have contacted a lawyer and talked to the head subaru office.more to explain but i have no time.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertH
    Subaru has still refused to fix the tranny. They blame it on me b/c i am still a teen (17) and think that im a super racer. We have contacted a lawyer and talked to the head subaru office.more to explain but i have no time.

is it still stock? and whats your definition of quick shifting? have you ever attempted to launch the car ever? just becuase 3rd gear was what eventually went completely bad and tore up te rest of your tranny doesn't mean that another gear hadn't broke off a little bit and caused your third to go.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

Quote Originally Posted by RobertH
    Hhhhmmm you seem to be avoiding the "What is your definition of quick shifing?" question.

I hope you get your replacement. Let us all know how it goes. My opinion barring very extreme abuse there is no way the tranny should have failed so quickly. They should be able to survive atleast some moderate abuse as most drivers mis-shift, grind gears, etc. occasionally.
    New England F4

wow.... an 05.......

I would expect this on a bugeye, but the 04,05,06 have thicker gears.

I have 311whp on my 05 with stock clutch/tranny and I have had NO issues. *crosses fingers*. 35k miles, lots of launches.

I think a lot has to do with the driver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast