frozen tank (wipers)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on frozen tank (wipers) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone know of a quick and easy way to unfreeze a wiper tank? wrong juice + 5below = bad news! ...

Question frozen tank (wipers)

Anyone know of a quick and easy way to unfreeze a wiper tank? wrong juice + 5below = bad news!

would rubbing alcohol work?
    Dave (aka Scuba Steve)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

remove it from the car (pretty easy to do), take it home or wherever, then try melt it with some hot water or whatever and fill it up with the right washer (-25 degrees or simmilar)
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    remove it from the car (pretty easy to do), take it home or wherever, then try melt it with some hot water or whatever and fill it up with the right washer (-25 degrees or simmilar)

or whatever.....
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I think there's 2-3 bolts holing it on, one tube, and a plug for the pump (2 plugs if its a wagon).

I wouldn't put it in hot water because it might warp the plastic. Just let it sit in your sink and defrost at room temp...or in a bath COLD water.
    go f*** yourself

Peachypumpkincheeks

My solution:

Find an extension cord and a hairdryer. Make sure it's set on low heat and holding it about 6 inches away, just slowly move it around the outside of the tank. Should be melted in about 10 minutes.

(It may look silly, but it worked wonders on drying out my 92 plymouth's distributor cap!)
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    My solution:

Find an extension cord and a hairdryer. Make sure it's set on low heat and holding it about 6 inches away, just slowly move it around the outside of the tank. Should be melted in about 10 minutes.

(It may look silly, but it worked wonders on drying out my 92 plymouth's distributor cap!)
    he said it was 5 below! I wouldn't want to be out there even for 10 minutes.
    go f*** yourself

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    he said it was 5 below! I wouldn't want to be out there even for 10 minutes.

He's from Minnesota! That's like perfect tailgating weather!

P.S. It would take me ten minutes just to unnattach everything from the tank to bring it inside! Then another 20 to reattach it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette

He's from Minnesota! That's like perfect tailgating weather!

P.S. It would take me ten minutes just to unnattach everything from the tank to bring it inside! Then another 20 to reattach it all!
    that's why most mechanics are men
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    that's why most mechanics are men

even still, most mechanics work in a GARAGE, not outside, and most of them have a huge industrial heater in the shop.

can't do much when your fingertips are numb.
    go f*** yourself

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    even still, most mechanics work in a GARAGE, not outside, and most of them have a huge industrial heater in the shop.

can't do much when your fingertips are numb.
    I think he was alluding to the fact that I said it would take me 10 minutes to unattach the tank, 20 to put it back on.

two screws, one electrical clip and a hose coming from the pump(two if a wagon). Then pour out the liquid that's in it. Get it inside allow it to thaw out, then drop it back in the car and fill it with the correct fluid. Run the sprayer for 10-20 seconds to clear the lines and hope they're not frozen. if they are you're going to be out there with a hair dryer.

Wow

Okay people....I asked about putting alcohol in the tank. Enough bashing each other. lol
    First, wasn't my car, it was a 99 VW. I know we all assumed becuase most of us drive a wrx. Sorry, I should've clarified.

It's all taken care of! Plenty of warm water followed by flushing the system and installing the correct fluid worked great, took me 10 minutes.

BY THE WAY....LIFE DOESN'T REALLY START IN MINNESOTA UNTIL IT'S AT LEAST 5 BELOW!! YES, PERFECT TAILGATING WEATHER....HECK, MOST OF FINALLY PUT AWAY THE SHORTS AT FIVE BELOW.....

...AND ON DAYS LIKE TODAY MOST DIEHARD MINNESOTIAN MECHANICS WILL PULL THEIR CAR OUT OF THE GARAGE AND WORK IN DRIVEWAY JUST SO WE CAN KEEP OUR BEER COLD!!!!!
    Dave (aka Scuba Steve)

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
    ...AND ON DAYS LIKE TODAY MOST DIEHARD MINNESOTIAN MECHANICS WILL PULL THEIR CAR OUT OF THE GARAGE AND WORK IN DRIVEWAY JUST SO WE CAN KEEP OUR BEER COLD!!!!!

Good idea!

Heh, I'm pretty sure mine is frozen too. Only -1 last night here though in southeast wisconsin.

Jay

well I 100% alcohol is probably not the best idea because you REALLY don't want to be spraying a highly flamable liquid on your car...do you? Also, it will dissolve your wax.

(actually that could be a new mod...install a couple of spark-igniters and you could shoot flames onto your windshield....looks cool and very useful to get the ice off fast.

You can't use part alcohol:water because in order to reduce the flamability of the alcohol, you'd have to use so much water that it would seperate and freeze, leaving you with an extremely flamable liquid AND a chunk of ice in your resevior.

(this is one of the "old" ways that people used to "distil" spirits. instead of heating them to boil off the alcohol and then collect it in a condensing tank, you'd just leave it out overnight and let the water freeze...remove the ice, and repeat. Works great with hard cider...except you end up needing about 10-20 gallons to make a respectable amount of apple-derrived spirits...and make sure you use a container without a neck, or you won't be able to get the ice out).

its best to just use the anti-freeze window washer fluid. its certainly worth the $.99.
    go f*** yourself

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast