Stock boost pressure
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock boost pressure within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi folks...n00b here... I just purchased a new '06 WRX last week, after a long list of Jeeps, trucks, and ...

Stock boost pressure

Hi folks...n00b here...

I just purchased a new '06 WRX last week, after a long list of Jeeps, trucks, and turbo diesel cars. My last "sporty" car was a 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R, a far cry from the performance of the WRX. I've spent the last several years doing long distance motorcycle touring as well as some track time/Deal's Gap time on sport bikes, as I've always had the need for speed. I'm now getting back into performance cars after a long hiatus.

After doing a little research I think a AP with a good exhaust will do the trick for me. I need to keep some level of reliability for my nearly 100 mile per day commute, and I'll need longevity - hopefully well over 100k miles without lots of repair. I'm no stranger to car work, having been a 20 + year experienced master tech (the last 8 years working for Mitsubishi before I quit wrenching), but I don't want to live under the car on the weekends. I only want to improve the performance because I think it could use a little more - which brings me to my question:

What is the stock boost pressure supposed to be on a 2006 WRX 5 speed? My car runs ok, but I'm wondering if it is a little low on boost pressure...under full throttle & higher RPM I see .07 on the factory boost guage, which I believe translates into about 10 PSI of boost, right? Can anyone else with a stock '06 confirm whether or not that is normal boost pressure? Seems a little low to me. I did a search and found one post where someone said stock boost pressure should be around 13 PSI, but that was on a 2 liter engine.

Help out a n00b, would ya?

Bueller

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

my friend just got an 06 and when we went to get a tune on it it came back as boosting at 14.5 psi, but with just a tune it is safe to put it up to 16.5 for everyday driving!
    hopes that hepled!

well since the 06 is a 2.5 it wont need as much boost as the 2l but yeah i still dont know what boost they are running just bought an 06 too and the salesman dont know either.... i need to get an aftermarket boost gauge to see i guess.....if you do find out can you please let us know....

Stock boost on an 06 WRX is 14.5psi

Thanks for the replies. I'm still curious to know what other '06 WRX owners are seeing on the factory boost guage under full throttle. If everyone else sees .07 on that guage I won't worry about it, but if others are seeing steady readings closer to 1.0 I might have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Sorry the stock boost on an 06 is 13.5psi not 14.5

You should be seeing almost .09 mPa, on you stock gauge. If you dont hit that i would suggest trying a wastegate arm adjustment. That might help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteReX2004
    You should be seeing almost .09 mPa, on you stock gauge. If you dont hit that i would suggest trying a wastegate arm adjustment. That might help you out.
    Or take it back (you said it was an 06, right?) ... Either the boost gauge is defective, or you have a small problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.