10-12k in damage and repaired instead of totaled?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 10-12k in damage and repaired instead of totaled? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Heres the story, about a month ago I crashed my STi. Summary of the crash was I slid ...

10-12k in damage and repaired instead of totaled?

Hey guys,

Heres the story, about a month ago I crashed my STi. Summary of the crash was I slid out going about 40, over corrected, did a 180, bounced up over a curb, took out a light post and stop sign, and bounced down the other side onto a side street.

My concern which was recently raised by a friend is that the car shouldnt have been repaired, that it will never drive the same again.

It was dark so I didnt get the best look but the major damage was passenger side with a big dent right next to the gas door(I hit back end first).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Evan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mntbikr15
    Hey guys,

Heres the story, about a month ago I crashed my STi. Summary of the crash was I slid out going about 40, over corrected, did a 180, bounced up over a curb, took out a light post and stop sign, and bounced down the other side onto a side street.

My concern which was recently raised by a friend is that the car shouldnt have been repaired, that it will never drive the same again.

It was dark so I didnt get the best look but the major damage was passenger side with a big dent right next to the gas door(I hit back end first).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Evan
    You need to do a lot more damage than that to total a 30k car. If the car is fixed correctly, it will drive the same.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry to read this.

Did the insurance company give you a choice? If so, I might have opted for totaling it out. If you owed a lot on the car, that may not have been the best choice.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    You need to do a lot more damage than that to total a 30k car. If the car is fixed correctly, it will drive the same.
    That is the problem with bodywork - you never know if it was correct. There is so much to hide. Even with my $1400 incident recently, I wonder if all will be OK down the road.

I sincerely hope it all works out for you.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    That is the problem with bodywork - you never know if it was correct. There is so much to hide.
    I do. I guess I have an advantage in cases like this.

I Support ClubWRX
    I do. I guess I have an advantage in cases like this.
    Can a trained eye actually see problems after the repair?
    Mods & Pics

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess you worded my concern better with the fixed correctly part.

When I get it back is there someplace that I can take it that can tell me if its been "fixed correctly". My regular mechanic? The subaru dealership?

I wasnt given an option on totaling or fixing, the body shop that it was taken too(which my family has been using for a while) is State Farm certified. Therefor no estimater came out, State Farm I guess goes on the word of the shop. Which in this case was to repair it.

Also someone mentioned that money owed on the car may have played a roll. I didnt owe anything on it, waited till I had the money then bought the car.

-Evan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Can a trained eye actually see problems after the repair?
    Easily.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess you worded my concern better with the fixed correctly part.

When I get it back is there someplace that I can take it that can tell me if its been "fixed correctly". My regular mechanic? The subaru dealership?

I wasnt given an option on totaling or fixing, the body shop that it was taken too(which my family has been using for a while) is State Farm certified. Therefor no estimater came out, State Farm I guess goes on the word of the shop. Which in this case was to repair it.

Also someone mentioned that money owed on the car may have played a roll. I didnt owe anything on it, waited till I had the money then bought the car.

-Evan
    The best place to get it checked out after a repair is another bodyshop. Bodyshops love picking apart eachothers work. The dealer, or most mechanics can't spot much.

I Support ClubWRX
    The best place to get it checked out after a repair is another bodyshop. Bodyshops love picking apart eachothers work. The dealer, or most mechanics can't spot much.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm mechanical, not body oriented. < (Oh no, what have I said)
    Mods & Pics

Any clue what the process is if something isnt done right? Involving insurance and all.

Again, thanks a bunch for the time guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Any clue what the process is if something isnt done right? Involving insurance and all.

Again, thanks a bunch for the time guys.
    The insurance company is required to restore your car to pre-accident condition. If it isn't right, bring it back. Keep bringing it back until it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    +1
    I did this when someone creamed my mazda and the guy had a field day! I just walked into a local bodyshop and asked the guy if he had a minute to critique someone else's work. He had so much fun he wrote up a little thing with all the problems he found (which even after he pointed them out I had a hard time spotting!). I sent the blurb to my insrance company. They sent me right back to the original bodyshop and all was fixed
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

i did about the same thing but i didnt hit a pole i just smashed my bbs into the curb, got alignment and new rims, fixed problem and new struts
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

if your damage is mostly body, it's an easy fix and your car should drive as good as it did before the crash. I've driven cars that were put together from 2 other cars and they were near perfect. It just depends on the body shop that does the work.
    Aslo remember that most of the cost is the labor, or taking the isht apart if you want. It takes time to disassemble everything and put it back together.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast