10-12k in damage and repaired instead of totaled? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 10-12k in damage and repaired instead of totaled? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Trainrex You need to do a lot more damage than that to total a 30k car. If ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    You need to do a lot more damage than that to total a 30k car. If the car is fixed correctly, it will drive the same.
    I disagree. I don't think a car is ever the same once it has been in a wreck and repaired. No matter how well you fix it there will always be little "creaks", "pops" and other noises that weren't there before especially if you have suspension and frame damage. It never quite seems the same as when it rolled off the showroom floor. I was stopped at a stop light 1 car back from the line and a guy who was drunk and on drugs who was coming from the opposite direction decided that he was going to run this motorcyclist off the road and in doing so fish tailed and slid directly into my driver's side causing 12,000 in damage. He also decides to take out the car that was in front of me and the car that was behind me (after he had hit me) and do as much damage as he possibly could. We tried to pull him out of the car but he just drove off with a Z06 in hot pursuit. And this happened the day after my brother passed away. Anyways, the car has never been the same and pops and creaks when I go over bumps. Sorry to hi-jack the thread with my own story but to me it just never feels the same

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02bluebyou
    I disagree. I don't think a car is ever the same once it has been in a wreck and repaired. No matter how well you fix it there will always be little "creaks", "pops" and other noises that weren't there before especially if you have suspension and frame damage. It never quite seems the same as when it rolled off the showroom floor. I was stopped at a stop light 1 car back from the line and a guy who was drunk and on drugs who was coming from the opposite direction decided that he was going to run this motorcyclist off the road and in doing so fish tailed and slid directly into my driver's side causing 12,000 in damage. He also decides to take out the car that was in front of me and the car that was behind me (after he had hit me) and do as much damage as he possibly could. We tried to pull him out of the car but he just drove off with a Z06 in hot pursuit. And this happened the day after my brother passed away. Anyways, the car has never been the same and pops and creaks when I go over bumps. Sorry to hi-jack the thread with my own story but to me it just never feels the same
    No offense, but you had it fixed at the wrong shop.

I Support ClubWRX
    My previous car (mazda MP3) got hit and had $8k in damage to the frame and suspension and some engine parts. It felt just like new when the shop finished with it.

I have to agree with Andy here, get it fixed right in the right place and it'll be just like new...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to expand on my comment a little, if you have any squeeks, rattes, or issues with the car that weren't there before the accident, the shop made a mistake, or mistakes while fixing it. Keep in mind, aside from the unibody being welded together, cars are still mostly built by people in factories. If people can build it, people can repair it. Paint matching is also an artform. Matching the color, texture, and depth of paint that was applied by a robot is an art in itself. The shops that can do it aren't cheap, but are well worth it. Most people shop prices when having a car fixed. Big mistake. You should be shopping reputation, and pay whatever you have to for a quality job. If one shop is cheaper by far than another, they are cutting corners. That's when you end up with squeeks and rattles.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    No offense, but you had it fixed at the wrong shop.
    +1 IVE BEEN IN A BODY SHOP SINCE I WAS LIKE 5, WORKED ON CARS THAT WERE "TOTALED" AND RETITLED AND YOU COULDNT TELL A DIFF, ALL DEPENDS ON WHO DOES THE WORK .

if its minor body work I dont see why it wouldn't feel like new after being taken to a shop. However 10-15k in damage I dunno if you could realy return that to 100% the way it was before. Even if almost everything is replaced of repaired flawlessly its probably not gonna feel exactly the same, maybe like 95% at most. This completely depends on where and how he was hit though.

Quote Originally Posted by kg21
    if its minor body work I dont see why it wouldn't feel like new after being taken to a shop. However 10-15k in damage I dunno if you could realy return that to 100% the way it was before. Even if almost everything is replaced of repaired flawlessly its probably not gonna feel exactly the same, maybe like 95% at most. This completely depends on where and how he was hit though.
    have you seen trainrex's car before/after?? if not mabye he should post some pics of it so all of you guys questioning a good bodyshops work will give it up.
    Aspen white/gold 03 sedan *SOLD*
    Aspen white/gold 06 STi STG2 Bailey ProTuned

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.