What coolant do you prefer?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What coolant do you prefer? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I could not find a similar thread by searching what is you favorite brand / type coolant to use ...

I Support ClubWRX

What coolant do you prefer?

I could not find a similar thread by searching what is you favorite brand / type coolant to use in your WRX (or whatever you drive)?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

summer - redline water wetter and h2o
    winter -50/50 h2o and any antifreeze
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    any antifreeze
    Any?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

ya. i dont really have a favorite brand but i mostly use prestone
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

I forget which one I have but it's neon orange. I think it's PEAK?

I usually use Peak, not sure why.

I usually use Prestone.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have seen many a "what oil do you use" threads here, but never coolant. I guess we are not as brand loyal with coolant. Fewer choices maybe?
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it's fewer choices plus more specifics from the maker -- they strongly recommend their own brand coolant plus a while back they put out a TSB regarding not mixing coolants and using their own brand coolant additive (I think I saw it on the TSBs forum over on Scoobymods). I use whatever coolant Subaru re-package and sell as their own plus distilled water and if/when I need to top off I just top with distilled water (I don't care if the % changes a little due to my location).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    I think it's fewer choices plus more specifics from the maker -- they strongly recommend their own brand coolant plus a while back they put out a TSB regarding not mixing coolants and using their own brand coolant additive (I think I saw it on the TSBs forum over on Scoobymods). I use whatever coolant Subaru re-package and sell as their own plus distilled water and if/when I need to top off I just top with distilled water (I don't care if the % changes a little due to my location).
    Thanks ... I was hoping you would chime in.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi! Here's 2 links to look at relating to coolant:

http://scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5164

for an annoying potential upper hose leak and

http://scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5316

the coolant type/no mixing TSB.

Since your car is later than mine you don't care about the failing radiator TSB (and I already have a new rad as a result...).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

When I changed my coolant I just went with the Subaru stuff and distilled water. It wasnt that expensivve and since you can never fully drain the system with out forcing water through it, I didnt want to mix.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

is any all engine coolant OK

I am having issues finding why it is unrecommended for Subie factory coolant. I know that some systems are subject to internal corrosion, but if I have one that says it is safe for all systems should I be ok?

Replacing the radiator today.

Thanks!

J

Quote Originally Posted by djinn23 View Post
    I am having issues finding why it is unrecommended for Subie factory coolant. I know that some systems are subject to internal corrosion, but if I have one that says it is safe for all systems should I be ok?

Replacing the radiator today.

Thanks!

J
    Bumping up threads from 05? Very nice...

As far as your questions, I would stick with subaru OEM coolant, the subaru coolant conditioner, and distilled water. Due the aluminum and avoiding it from corrosion. If you have to use something else than oem, make sure its aluminum safe, and use distilled water.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.