Compress Caliper with C-Clamp????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Compress Caliper with C-Clamp???? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I'm changing my pads today, and a friend told me it's bad for the ABS module to compress ...

Compress Caliper with C-Clamp????

Hey guys,

I'm changing my pads today, and a friend told me it's bad for the ABS module to compress the caliper with a C-clamp. Is this true? I have been doing this on my last 3 cars, and 2 of them had ABS. Please advise.

thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    Hey guys,

I'm changing my pads today, and a friend told me it's bad for the ABS module to compress the caliper with a C-clamp. Is this true? I have been doing this on my last 3 cars, and 2 of them had ABS. Please advise.

thanks,
    Steve
    That's a new one for me. How does he feel you should retract the piston?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    That's a new one for me. How does he feel you should retract the piston?
    blead em a little bit, push on the caliper as they bleed with something flat.

Him and his dad own a tranny shop, so they know their stuff. On the other hand, you are a master machinic too, so i think I just will stick to my C-clamp ways.

thanks for the prompt response.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    blead em a little bit, push on the caliper as they bleed with something flat.

Him and his dad own a tranny shop, so they know their stuff. On the other hand, you are a master machinic too, so i think I just will stick to my C-clamp ways.

thanks for the prompt response.
    I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but I don't feel it's necessary. I've never had any adverse affects retracting the piston with a c-clamp/channel locks/pad spreader on ABS equipped cars.

I think they may be concerned that you would put one arm of the C-clamp on something such as a sensor. Just be careful to put one arm on the pad and one arm on the solid metal of the caliper and you should be fine.

You could also ask your trusty Subaru dealership...
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but I don't feel it's necessary. I've never had any adverse affects retracting the piston with a c-clamp/channel locks/pad spreader on ABS equipped cars.
    +1- just make sure you use the old pad as a block so you don't damage the piston
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're bleeding the calipers at the same time you're not shoving any fluid back up the system anyway.....how do they suggest you do it? I found that I could push them back by hand quite easily with the bleed valve open.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

It is supposedly bad for the system to compress with c-clamp. It can supposedly hurt valving in the abs system. this is what I was told in school. (I go to college for automotive engineering). I have never ever seen any adverse effects from compressing the calipers this way so I do it anyway. You are supposed to crack open a bleeder before compressing the piston with the clamp this way most of the pressure gets relieved through the bleeder and doesn't force it's way back through the system. I really don't think it makes a difference.

I Support ClubWRX
    Again, just how are you supposed to do it? I mean, the pistons have to go back one way or another. I don't see any difference between a clamp and by hand. I guess if the piston got hung up some how........but the ABS doesn't know the difference. If you don't open a bleeder all the ABS sees is fluid flowing upstream - cause unknown.

Perhaps it's just a rule of thumb? If you can't do it by hand, something is wrong. The only way to really do it reasonably by hand if you're not King Kong is to open up a bleed valve. Then no fluid is flowing upstream and you can feel if the piston gets hung up (meaning you need a rebuild). Plus you get rid of any bubbles in the caliper......I guess that is a good way to do it. It's how I do it......
    Last edited by GV27; 11-25-2005 at 09:55 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    I just use the old pad. Point it skinny end toward the cylinder and push. Goes right in every time. Why mess with a c-clamp....just another tool to look around for.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    I just use the old pad. Point it skinny end toward the cylinder and push. Goes right in every time. Why mess with a c-clamp....just another tool to look around for.
    You must be pretty strong

Careful ya don't break a piston

I don't open bleeders because then I have to actually bleed the system...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon

The reason to open a bleeder would be so you don't force the brake fluid back to the master cylinder. Some ABS systems have check valves that will only let the fluid flow in one direction. If a bleeder is opened you would be able to compress the caliper by hand. If you don't open a bleeder it may be damn near impossible to do by hand. The correct way to compress the piston on a car with ABS is to open up the bleeder and then compress. I am unsure if you will see any detrimental effects to the system by not opening a bleeder. I have done it both ways and have never damaged anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff
    You must be pretty strong

Careful ya don't break a piston

I don't open bleeders because then I have to actually bleed the system...

Just put a piece of tubing on the nipple, start pushing on the piston, crack open the valve and out comes (usually) a little air and then fluid. Shut the valve when the piston gets all the way in. You've just bled the caliper and pushed the piston back.

Why would you need to do more?

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Quote Originally Posted by GV27

Just put a piece of tubing on the nipple, start pushing on the piston, crack open the valve and out comes (usually) a little air and then fluid. Shut the valve when the piston gets all the way in. You've just bled the caliper and pushed the piston back.

This is exactly what 06-wrx was saying to do ,,, and yes it does make sense and nothing more needs to be done,,,
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GV27

Thats an option, but you haven't actually bled the system... you've pushed the brake fluid behind the piston out the bleeder screw. If I crack a bleeder open, I'm doing a true bleed(pump, crack, close, repeat) to ensure there is no air in the entire system...

And I've broken off enough bleeders to know that it ain't always that simple

IMO its easier to put the inboard pad against the piston, center up a c-clamp, and push the piston home...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.