oil level question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on oil level question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; okay, so today when i went out to my car i decided to check the oil. i figured its been ...

oil level question

okay, so today when i went out to my car i decided to check the oil. i figured its been a while, it wont hurt. i checked it. the level was right at low. i checked it about 5 more times just to make sure and it was at low every time. this was all before i started up my car today. so figuring that i might as well add some oil i added 0.5 quarts of oil since i had it sitting in my garage. i check the level and it remains un chaned. so i start the car and move it foward about 5 feet to see if there is any oil n the ground. none. so i check the oil level again and it was even lower than before. so i drive to auto zone and pick up a quart of oil. the car was sitting for about 5 minutes while i was in the store. i check the level again before i add more oil and its above Full. i check it a few more times to make sure. and every time it was above full. is it bad for the engine to have a little too much oil in it? and why is it so wacky?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Was the ground close to being level ?

My Dad told me years ago that oil level is always lower when the car is cold. After you've had the engine running, it will show a higher oil level. I see the same with all the cars I've owned since, including my WRX. Also be sure you're sitting on ground that is as flat as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 04WhtWRX
    My Dad told me years ago that oil level is always lower when the car is cold. After you've had the engine running, it will show a higher oil level. I see the same with all the cars I've owned since, including my WRX. Also be sure you're sitting on ground that is as flat as possible.

yeah its preety level. now anyone want to answer on if its bad for the engine to have a little too much oil?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rbwrx
    yeah its preety level. now anyone want to answer on if its bad for the engine to have a little too much oil?
    Over filling the oil can be worse than underfilling it. But if its just a tiny bit, it won't be a big deal.

Automakers try to limit the damage drivers can do to vehicles, so there is a little space between full and dangerous.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.