Finally Switched to Synthetic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Finally Switched to Synthetic within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I read up on the threads and decided that 1. I will switch to sythetics 2. I will wait till ...

Finally Switched to Synthetic

I read up on the threads and decided that
    1. I will switch to sythetics
    2. I will wait till 10K miles

SO at 10,500 miles, I changed my oil to Mobil 1 (5-30) and to the PureOne (purolator) oil filter (previously on Valvoline and Bolsch filter).

I plan to change oil and filter every 5K miles.

Result:
    Definite smoother start; before I had to wait a couple of cycles, now it's almost instantly catches (and it's been 30-40 degrees F) lately.
    And it "feels" smoother overall to drive. this may be fictional, to justify the higher costing oil, but I like to think I can notice the difference.

Next up are synthetic gear oils...
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bout time!!

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

errrr...

there no way you feel a difference in driving from your motor oil. the fact that it's starting better is also unlikely, even if you switched to a lower weight.

a tip on starting, turn on the accessory for a few seconds till you hear the fuel pump stop, then start. the lines in our car take 2 seconds to fill, so just ramming it into start, will often take a few cycles, or not turn right away.

dR

So you won't even let me think I can see a diff?

You guys make it hard for us to be delusional.

No one else "felt" a difference?

Thanks DR, I didn't know about the ignition. Did you actually time it or is 2 secs an estimate?
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Originally posted by QuickSilver
    So you won't even let me think I can see a diff?

You guys make it hard for us to be delusional.

No one else "felt" a difference?

Thanks DR, I didn't know about the ignition. Did you actually time it or is 2 secs an estimate?
    it's an estimate. i'll give it a 1 second margin of error.

and to be honest, i feel a difference when i put sunoco 94 octane in. is it making me go faster? no. but you're brain will do that all the time to you.

dR

Yes you can feel a difference, and don't let anyone tell you different . I have noticed synthetics sounding different, so why not feeling smoother, and starting easier. The last time I did the oil change there was a noticeable change in the rpm drop time.

I don't feel any difference w/ syntec or petro based oils. An oil is a lubricant, and if it does its job as a lubricant, you shouldn't "feel" any difference.

BUT!!
    You should according to some research, get some gains by using high performance OIL vs petro based oil.

I've tried both petro and syntec in my 2002tii, and although I rather trust my engine to syntec oil, I didn't feel any difference in the two.

-LostLamb
    Uh guys? After I read this post I went out to take a look at my WRX. There seems to be some bird poop on the drivers side A-pillar and almost all of the windshield washer fluid is gone. Should I trade it in for a Ford ZX2 or just light in on fire?

God I miss my rex. -Koyokid

Rest in peace Koyokid.

You will gain 6,000,000,000,000 HP using synthetic motor oil.

Please believe me.

OK. Don't believe me. But I think I can almost guarantee a longer lasting engine. Which is the only reason I use Mobil 1.

misterx

I have read that synthetic oil does, in fact, increase HP by about 1% due to less internal friction loss. I read this in SCC or a similar mag.

If this is true that means over a 2 HP gain for 'free' in our Rexes.

I think also that in extremely cold weather the engine will start more easily.

Synthetic at 10,000 miles and each 5,000 miles thereafter is the way to go for me.

Anybody know when, of even if Mobil is ever gunna make a filter for the Rex? The super geeks say the Mobil filter provides the best filtration and best flow over any other filter on the market.

Regards:
    The Geekqualizer

I Support ClubWRX
    Check out this study:

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

The M1 filter is an excellent filter but no better than Purolator PureOne. It just costs twice as much.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    I also use Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil, and I can tell right away after an oil change that the engine idles better, and acceleration is a little peppier.

But is there anyone out there other than me that feels that they have to change their oil, every 3000 miles still, even with synthetic oil? The only reason why I do it, is because for the last few oil changes, I have gone to the dragstrip, and redlined the car a bunch of times. Even with synthetic. I also feel that since a turbo motor runs so hot, and the oil may break down quicker, this is another reason why. I know synthetic shouldn't change its properties all that much or as quickly as dino oil, but I feel it is safe insurance to still change my oil every 3000 miles.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

I too change my Mobil 1 oil every 3000 or by what the owners manual says. There's no way I'm going to have SOA say that I voided my warranty because I skipped a 1000 miles between changes.
    It's not a damn beanbag!

Can you say placebo!!

Synthetic oil

Originally posted by dark_rex
    errrr...

there no way you feel a difference in driving from your motor oil. the fact that it's starting better is also unlikely, even if you switched to a lower weight.

a tip on starting, turn on the accessory for a few seconds till you hear the fuel pump stop, then start. the lines in our car take 2 seconds to fill, so just ramming it into start, will often take a few cycles, or not turn right away.

dR
    I beg to differ. I have run synthetic oil in my last three cars and a couple of motorcycles and have always noticed it to run smoother. Many also have felt as I have that in some cases the car is easier to start (and it makes good sense). If you didn't personally feel any difference that's fine, but there are a fair number of us out here that have.

Maybe you should try Redline! In either case, the benefits are well worth it.

most posts i read from dark rex gives me the idea that he is just a negative guy...the glass if half empty if u know what i mean!!.. no insult intended.. However, I too noticed a difference..Not in hp but in engine idling and starting..it just seemed to run a lot smoother...but thats IMO..
    Peace..
    Weapon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast