General break questions

This is a discussion on General break questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All - Its been 7 months since I upgraded from a 98 impreza L to a 04 WRX.... Its ...

Question General break questions

Hi All -

Its been 7 months since I upgraded from a 98 impreza L to a 04 WRX....

Its also about that time when my break pads need to be changed (Front and Rear)
    Being rather new to this monster - I have no idea what it needs. I got a quote from Subaru for about $350 to do the front and rear breaks... Oh and they said it would take 3 hrs to do it?? Seems a bit much.

I like the do it yourself idea - but I am limited by to a back injury... So the questions are:

1. What are 'Good' pads to use (I assue Stock Subaru pads are crap) ?
    2. Is it worth grinding the OEM roters or getting new ones? If new - What are 'Good' rotors
    3. Can someone point me to a place where I can get these parts? -

While my budget is limited - I do not want to end up going into something...
    I'm sure you see where I am going with this.

I appreciate any and all help -

Tix

btw - Im still using the 16in Wheels in case that helps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles does the car have on it?

Discs don't necessarily need to be resurfaced. That's kinda an "it depends" answer.

DO a search in suspension and handling for pad and rotor recomendations.

Dunno the nature of your back injury, but the pads themselves and even the rotors are pretty easy, no heavy lifting jobs. If you can get a buddy or a neighbor to help with removing and replacing the wheels it might be doable.......

What do they want to charge you $350 for?

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

The car has sceen some heavy driving - has about 55K miles...That is why I thought the rotors might need a grind.

The dealer wanted the $350 for the front and rear pads And for the the '3 hours' labor it would take to put them on. - i kinda felt like i should just bend over to them or something - maybe cry Rape....

It might be overkill since the most I ever do is put the ricer in his place - but COBB has some pads - they run around 350$ just for them!
    I dunno - call me dumb but I figure if you have the ability to go fast... you should be able to stop fast too.

I will ask a friend if he can assist with the replacement as it sounds like it will save a tone of money.... But from your experience - how much Should this run me?

Thanks again -

Tix
    "Tailgate Only if You Can Stop Faster" - Me

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, brakes are a common place to rip people off. $350 is way too much for pad install. Even really good pads are only in the neighborhood of $150 - $200 for all four. Look at Cobb more closely - $350 gets you a whole kit w/ new fluid, stainless lines and pads. Won't even take a shop an hour to install them. It's REALLY easy to just do pads - most of the labor is jacking the car up and pulling the wheels.

If this is the first set of pads to go on the front (I guess you don't really know....) then you won't even need rear pads. If you can get a friend to help, I'd pull a rear wheenl and check them before I ordered any. I usually go through 2 or 3 sets of fronts for every set of rears.

If you have the ability, measure the thickness of the rotor to make sure they have life left in them. Getting them resurfaced is often a waste, IMO. Check the sticky at the top of this forum for periodic maintenance instructions and specs. If you do need them, odds are that you again only need fronts and TireRack has Brembo OEM replacements for $66 each. Of course you can upgrade at all sorts of levels.......

Check the suspension and handling forum for pads, though it sounds like you really don't need a high performance pad. They won't actually help at all for doing single-stops. Only the heat handling and high-temp performance changes. So I pay a lot of attention to them because I do a lot of canyon driving and really need all the heat handling I can get at the end of a long, fast downhill run. If you don't need a really high performance pad then the ceramic pads they sell at Advanced and PartsAmerica stores seem to be really good. I put them on my wife's car for hauling the kids around and she likes them and they do just fine coming down the canyon even with me trying to make time. Perfectly safe and they're dead cheap - I think a front set for her Civic was ~$40. For more of a brand name pad they have Raybestos semi-metallic for $42.95:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=219&ptset=A

Honestly you could get the cheapies there and they'd probably outperform OEM! They're pretty lousy - or at least they used to be.......

edit: oh, and if the brake fluid has never been changed it needs to be. Again really easy if you're not too layed-up by your back. All sorts of high performance fluids available but the Valvoline synthetic stuff they sell at any parts store is really excellent. You pay a lot for a marginal heat-handling upgrade.

C
    Last edited by GV27; 11-04-2005 at 10:11 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    I just started this thread:

Standard Performance Brake Parts.

in suspension and handling after I realized that by pointing you there for recomendations I was esencially recomending $200 a set Ferodo pads and $250 a pair DBA rotors. It doesn't sound like you really need all that.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

i had a simmilar dillema when my 30k service came around.
    For the price Subaru wanted for the service i did everything myself and also got upgrade on the brakes.
    Bought front slotted rotors and axiss pads for front and rear, changed brake fluid to Motul synthetic. Didn't want to do the steal lines after i ralised that the nuts are pretty rusty and if i break some stuff i'll be screwed. But even without the upgraded lines, car stops much better. And the brake upgrade costed me like $250
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Thanks guys - I Truly appreciate the help.

My friend has an STI and i Love the breaks - brembo stock i think...?

But i dont think they make any pads.rotors for the 16in?

I looked at the front - which the dealer said they replaced when i got the car - there is minor wear on the rotor - so i guess i can skip a grind there.

The rears are another issue - They were not replaced and my guess is they are the origional from the 1st owner. (He had like 40K miles on it before I got it.)

Looks like the rear will need either new rotors or a grind. But this also raises another question.

I keep seeing in many places - posts about OEM rotors warping... How can i tell if this is happening?

I cant tell for sure if these rotors were ever replaced - but i have a feeling all 4 rotors and the rear pads are OEM from when the car was new.

Tix
    "Tailgate Only if You Can Stop Faster" - Me