Oil consumption & change to synthetic
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil consumption & change to synthetic within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi people, I have a 2004 WRX and I seem to average about 1 quart of oil use between changes ...

Oil consumption & change to synthetic

Hi people,

I have a 2004 WRX and I seem to average about 1 quart of oil use between changes 6000km (3728 miles for you non-canuks). I’ve spoken with the dealer about this and they said that’s “within tolerance”. Whatever that means. Needless to say I’m not sure I want to take their word for it.

So, is that a normal consumption? Is there something I can/should do to decrease it? The limited experience I have with other cars is that they did not use any oil between changes.

--------------------------

The other question I have is about Synthetic oil. A couple of people I’ve spoken with suggest I switch (and I’ve done a bit of quick searching and it seems like a good choice for a “high performance” car to increase life span, ect, ect), but my car already has 32000km (~20000 miles) on it already, is it too late? Should I not bother? Is my car already “adapted” to regular oil? I don’t really mind paying the little extra for synthetic I’d just like to know if I should at this point.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ian
    My car also burns a bit of oil so that parts is normal. I would say it would be good to switch to synthetic

I Support ClubWRX
    It can vary from engine to engine. I made the switch to Mobil 1 5W - 30 at 10,621 km (6600 miles). My 2004 uses no oil in between changes. I just went 8003 km (4973 miles) on the last drain interval.

1 quart in 6000 km is OK. You can switch to synthetic anytime you want.

Edit: Another benefit of synthetic is it flows much better at lower temperatures. It cannot be beat for easier starts when it gets really cold.

BTW I <3 the Metric system! I wish we would have made the switch already.

First post? Welcome!
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-01-2005 at 04:44 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks for the replies!
    I appreciate the insights!

I’ve been reading through the forms some more and all the post on oil consumption were a little vague as to where the magical cut off for how much is too much is.

As for the synthetic thing, I just got a flyer in the mail from Subaru for a special on synthetic oil (Mobil1) change! I think I’ll take them up on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cool13
    Thanks for the replies!
    I appreciate the insights!

I’ve been reading through the forms some more and all the post on oil consumption were a little vague as to where the magical cut off for how much is too much is.

As for the synthetic thing, I just got a flyer in the mail from Subaru for a special on synthetic oil (Mobil1) change! I think I’ll take them up on it.
    Learn how to do it yourself. It is really easy.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i pretty much have very little oil consumption on my engine. It's a bit but not much and you can't really tell exactly because it's almost impossible to read that damn dip stick accurately.
    I wouldn't switch to synthetic if you didn't do it for like over 40k miles since synthetic tends to remove sludge and residue that builded up in your engine over that time and that pretty muche seals some "questionable spots" now, like valves etc.. I heard it's pretty common that old engines that switched to synthethic will burn more oil.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

I use Mobil 1 in ALL my vehicles.
    I switch after break in period.
    Oil consumption does vary motor to motor, depending on how it was broken in, maintaned, driven, etc.
    Mobil1 will not "burn" more oil after you switch from dino.
    As mentioned, it may find some leaks as it will clean out sludge and find the spots that were clogged.
    I say the benefits out weigh a little leakage.
    Better extreme temp protection, etc.
    You may have more "Blow by" at high rpm, but you will not "burn" more.
    Oil questions?
    go www.bobistheoilguy.com

WR

I run my '03 WRX on Shell Helix, and it uses about 1 quart of oil every 7000 km (4349 miles). Apparently these motors do like to consume oil if you really boot it!

Being a boxer engine, wont a little oil leak past the valves when the car stands overnight?

Used to have a '87 Porsche Carrera, and that always leaked a little oil past the valves when standing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.