Brakes wont bleed out?

This is a discussion on Brakes wont bleed out? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Gentlemen, (and Ladies, too) So, a couple months ago I started to notice the brake pedal getting spongy, it also ...

Brakes wont bleed out?

Gentlemen, (and Ladies, too)
    So, a couple months ago I started to notice the brake pedal getting spongy, it also travels a bit before the car actually brakes. I'm doing the 60k service, and figured when I change the fluid that would resolve. Not so. It seems the left front/right rear keep pulling bubbles (I've been using the mityvac) even after 10 minutes apiece. Ive read these two are connected, but don't exactly understand how. What to do? I'm probably due for pads, but couldn't get my big melon in there to check the little window ( I'll get a mirror soon). BTW, the right front and left rear pull clean fluid with no bubbles. Any ideas? Thanks for all the good stuff, y'all. Keep it coming. Armand
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe try a power bleeder? Otherwise you must have a leak somewhere.

AS far as the pads go, best bet is to pull them to check them. Just pull the lower bold, swing the caliper up and pop them out. Install is the reverse of removal.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

you may have a bad brake line or a bad connection somewhere.

you also have to bleed the brakes in the right order. its an "X" pattern, but i don't remember where to start. just go a google search on WRX brake bleeding pattern or something...or maybe someone here will chime in and tell you, but yeah, you have to bleed them in the right order. I used a vaccum bleeder (cost me like $10 on eBay...it SO much faster than doing it the other way). You also have to keep the resevior topped up...you may already know this, but just in case, if the level in the resevior drops too low, air gets in and you have to start all over again. If you're going to bleed your brakes anyway you may want to take the opportinuty to replace your brake lines with SS lines. Its a very easy mod, gives you MUCH better pedal feel, and if you DO have a leak somewhere, its more likely to be in the rubber lines than anywhere else. Just remember that it gets a little messy so you'll want to have a catch bucket ready....or some rags under the wheel you're working on.

also - you can get BLUE brake fluid...its a German company...can't remember the name right now, but you really want it I'll find it for you. Its a 100% synthetic fluid that's better than OEM anyway, and its BLUE, so when you bleed your brakes, you just keep pulling fluid till it turns blue, then you know you've bled the entire line from the master cylinder. Also available on eBay for cheap...just search "blue brake fluid". That same fluid is also available in orange so you can switch back and forth every time you bleed your brakes and know the job is 100% done.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    ATE Super Blue. Some of the best stuff out there.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    ATE Super Blue. Some of the best stuff out there.

that's the one.
    go f*** yourself

Mityvac is worthless for bleeding brakes. The bubbles you see are being pulled from around the nipple and not from inside the caliper. Get someone out there to pump the pedal for you the old fashioned way.

Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    Mityvac is worthless for bleeding brakes. The bubbles you see are being pulled from around the nipple and not from inside the caliper. Get someone out there to pump the pedal for you the old fashioned way.
    worked great for me. *shrugs*. then again, I read the instruction manual.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Just thought of this: aren't the rear bleed nipples smaller than the front? You aren't getting bubbles because the hose you're using is too big for the back, are you?

C

1993 Honda CBR600F2

No, the hose fit ok. I must've somehow managed to get a s**tload of air in the system. I'm about 80% through a bottle of Synpower. The thing is, when the car is off, the brake can be pumped up to where it feels ok (no travel), but even after I bled them the 2nd time, there is still about 30-40% travel before braking. I'm getting new fluid out of the bleeder. I will just continue to attempt to bleed. How does all this air enter the system? (How can I avoid this in the future?)
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

I Support ClubWRX
    Another possibility is that your MC needs to be bled. If at any time during the bleed proceedure the amount of fluid gets too low in the reservoir, you'll suck in air and that'll get trapped in the MC. That's not really an easy proceedure.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Yeah, the instructions for that seem easy, but I see myself getting brake fluid all over the place. Where do you get the "vinyl bag"? And in the manual it says to bleed the secondary chamber before the MC, but there's no instructions for that. I was told (and read elsewhere) that simply continuing to bleed at the wheels will eventually accomplish the same thing. I thought I might try to vibrate the MC somehow (instead of hitting it with a hammer) to free any bubbles. Have you ever bled the MC? What to look out for? Should I bite the bullet and go to Pep Boys for that? That scares me. But this is frustrating, too.
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

Plus, the only reason I'm doing any of this crap is to learn how. I probably should have bought a 200$ p.o.s. to practice on, though.
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl