Turbo S'd The Bed?

This is a discussion on Turbo S'd The Bed? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 04 WRX, 19k mi, stock minus silencer, EGT in manifold, boost gauge Over the weekend I got an unexplained CEL. ...

Turbo S'd The Bed?

04 WRX, 19k mi, stock minus silencer, EGT in manifold, boost gauge

Over the weekend I got an unexplained CEL. Then I noticed my turbo had been making a very faint high pitched noise for about a day or so and then went intermittent and then stopped completely. I'm worried it s'd the bed. I've visually checked the vacuum lines to no avail. Could it be the boost solenoid? how can i check the lines more thoroughly? i should have a MBC coming tomorrow in the mail that I was going to use w/ a UTEC (not installed yet). EGT at the manifold is below norm as to be expected w/ no boost.

Am i correct in thinking that installing an MBC will help eliminate the solenoid as being the problem? Could it really be the turbo, i figured when they went it was a lot more eventful... Dealer is booked for a while here and I wanna try myself b4 bringing it in. The motor seems to be running ok otherwise so could it be a clogged cat? It worked fine, and then not at all, not a gradual loss of boost.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone?

go to Autozone, they will explain you your CEL.
    Turbos make noise, and even more if you delete the silencer
    Don't get MBC, your solenoid is fine, unless you want to blow your motor,
    Cats don't get clogged, and you don't need them
    I think that's it for now. Good luck.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Unhappy

Umm, trust me on this one please, the turbo is not working. My car could be beat by a VW microbus. I'm not an idiot. Crazy, but not an idiot. Cats can and do get clogged, but i don't suspect that to be the case here b/c it was a quick death, not gradual.

I tried the MBC today and it made absolutely no difference. MBC's are fine btw if u know the limit. One comes w/ a UTEC and if u require higher than stock boost w/ a WRX u need one. No vacuum line leaks either.

I disconnected the boost control feed line and there is no pressure coming from the turbo compressor side even when at 4-5000rpms. This pretty much rules out anything else other than turbo/wastegate failure. Also, as far as i can see/tell i think the actuator arm is still connected to the wastegate so no luck there. As I stated, the turbo began making a new but faint noise just prior to failure. I am fairly certain that the turbo is shot after today. Is there any way the wastegate could be stuck open? Any ideas on how to test?

PS- If u see me in the right hand lane, please don't laugh. This is embarrasing. Kinda like driving a kit car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SAIKOU
    Umm, trust me on this one please, the turbo is not working. My car could be beat by a VW microbus. I'm not an idiot. Crazy, but not an idiot. Cats can and do get clogged, but i don't suspect that to be the case here b/c it was a quick death, not gradual.

I tried the MBC today and it made absolutely no difference. MBC's are fine btw if u know the limit. One comes w/ a UTEC and if u require higher than stock boost w/ a WRX u need one. No vacuum line leaks either.

I disconnected the boost control feed line and there is no pressure coming from the turbo compressor side even when at 4-5000rpms. This pretty much rules out anything else other than turbo/wastegate failure. Also, as far as i can see/tell i think the actuator arm is still connected to the wastegate so no luck there. As I stated, the turbo began making a new but faint noise just prior to failure. I am fairly certain that the turbo is shot after today. Is there any way the wastegate could be stuck open? Any ideas on how to test?

PS- If u see me in the right hand lane, please don't laugh. This is embarrasing. Kinda like driving a kit car.
    Even at stock boost, a MBC will give you PTFB with the stock ECU. If the car has a Utec, and is tuned for it, it's not a problem.

How are you feeling for pressure at the compressor nipple, and building boost at the same time? You won't build any boost revving.

Point well taken about boost and revving. I was thinking i would notice something coming out b/c wouldn't the turbo spool simply by being at said rpm? any ideas on how to test the turbo, other than by manually turning the turbines? Perhaps I could hook up ny boost gauge to the outlet nipple and go for a spin. But, i don't know what I'd be ruling out here- installing the MBC didn't change anything. The turbo isn't spooling up, I'd hear it.

Any way to eliminate the wastegate as the prob? I'm thinking it could be stuck open but the actuator seems to be in order.

I Support ClubWRX
    Point well taken about boost and revving. I was thinking i would notice something coming out b/c wouldn't the turbo spool simply by being at said rpm? any ideas on how to test the turbo, other than by manually turning the turbines? Perhaps I could hook up ny boost gauge to the outlet nipple and go for a spin. But, i don't know what I'd be ruling out here- installing the MBC didn't change anything. The turbo isn't spooling up, I'd hear it.

Any way to eliminate the wastegate as the prob? I'm thinking it could be stuck open but the actuator seems to be in order.
    Do you have a boost gauge? Have you checked for boost leaks?

Perhaps I could hook up ny boost gauge to the outlet nipple and go for a spin.
    Yes, I have one. No boost.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, I have one. No boost.
    Have you checked all the boost hoses for leaks?

very thoroughly checked these lines

I Support ClubWRX
    very thoroughly checked these lines
    Did you have the IC off to inspect the y-pipe?

nope, what else is there to check while i'm at it?

I Support ClubWRX
    nope, what else is there to check while i'm at it?
    If you've established that there is definately no leak, and all the hoses are hooked up and working properly, pull off the downpipe and try to spin the turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    If you've established that there is definately no leak, and all the hoses are hooked up and working properly, pull off the downpipe and try to spin the turbine.
    And then you will be able to see if the wastegate is open for some reason.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.