Adjusting the Hand Brake !!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Adjusting the Hand Brake !!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so has anyone done it yet??? and if so what exactly do you do. I want to adjust mine because ...

Adjusting the Hand Brake !!!

so has anyone done it yet??? and if so what exactly do you do.
    I want to adjust mine because i have to pull it so high for it to work and it becomes a bit uncomfortable during autox or other runs and i really want to have it a bit lower. I read the sticky and periodic maintenance PDF but the description there is so vauge.
    Does it need to be adjusted on both wheels?? And where exactly is that rubber plug that needs to be removed??
    Thanx for any input.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

BUMP

I'd like to know as well.
    autobahn storming scooby

i adjusted mine right at the hand brake... pull off the center console piece and there is a nut there that adjusts tension on the hand brake cable... just spin it and test the handbrake... keep adjusting until its where you like it.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

simpler than i imagined. probably play around with that while i wait for the weather to not be so pissed off.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    i adjusted mine right at the hand brake... pull off the center console piece and there is a nut there that adjusts tension on the hand brake cable... just spin it and test the handbrake... keep adjusting until its where you like it.
    bryan
    thanx, i'll try it. It sure sounds better than taking the wheels off
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Another thing that contributes greatly to lots of play in the parking brake is
    worn rear brake pads. After you replace them, you find that you no longer
    have to pull the handle to the roof!

Akebono Brake Corporation
    supplier to Subaru

Quote Originally Posted by AKESREX
    Another thing that contributes greatly to lots of play in the parking brake is
    worn rear brake pads. After you replace them, you find that you no longer
    have to pull the handle to the roof!

Akebono Brake Corporation
    supplier to Subaru
    the thing is that it's been like this since i got the car and i hardly use my handbrake during autox events, mostly it's just "holding" the car on the red light, so it can't be wearing out that much.
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

OK, i did it today. It was fairly easy. The piece of center console comes off nicely without any unbolting. Just make sure you retain the metal clips that go in the front of that piece otherwise you'll have it lose after you're done.
    Once the piece is off the adjusting screw are clearly visible and fairly easy to access. You'll just need two 11mm flat wrenches. Losen the first nut and pull on the cable with some pliers and tighten the bottom one. Test the handbrake and repeat procedure if needed. Once you have it in the desired position just lock it with the top nut and replace the console piece. Once again don't forget the front metal clips as they tend to fall out when you're pulling the console apart.
    That easy
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    OK, i did it today. It was fairly easy. The piece of center console comes off nicely without any unbolting. Just make sure you retain the metal clips that go in the front of that piece otherwise you'll have it lose after you're done.
    Once the piece is off the adjusting screw are clearly visible and fairly easy to access. You'll just need two 11mm flat wrenches. Losen the first nut and pull on the cable with some pliers and tighten the bottom one. Test the handbrake and repeat procedure if needed. Once you have it in the desired position just lock it with the top nut and replace the console piece. Once again don't forget the front metal clips as they tend to fall out when you're pulling the console apart.
    That easy
    After your adjustment, how many clicks does your e-brake have? My Honda manual used to say 7-9 clicks, but I felt this was too loose. Since I am new to Subaru's, I don't know what the service manual recommends.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

i don't know how many clicks, i didn't check it but i always depress the button before pulling the handbrake. It's now at about half the way to the top. Just how i like it. And it worked quite well at Sunday's autoX
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

I did a search on Nasioc for this same issue a month ago. In adjusting your ebrake you need to adjust at the drum first, then utilize the adjustment in the center console last. This is to get a solid eight 'clicks' on the handbrake when you engage the parking brake. This provides for a perfect fit.

To adjust the parking brake (ebrake) you need to put the rear of the car up on stands - leave the wheels on the car. There is a small, oval, black, rubber plug on the back of the rear brake backing plates on each rear wheel. Remove it and then insert a screwdriver or brake adjusting tool and use it to turn the 'star' dial/gear, up or down, not sure which way you need to go ot tghten. (the dial adjusts the tightness of the calipers.

In order to gauge the tightness, I put the rear of my WRX up on stands so that I could turn the wheels by hand. I verified that the brakes were tightening by tying to turn the rear wheel with my hands. Once the wheel was immobile, I backed off the tightness using four or five adjustments using the screwdriver to turn the gear either up or down. Once the rear wheel was free to turn easily, I put the rubber plug back in and started on the other rear wheel. I never took the tires off and it took me about ten minutes total for both rear wheels once I had begun under the car. I put the car back on four wheels, checked the brake fluid level and then checked the ebrake handle. It was perfect. I didn't need to adjust the handle itself. This process was verified a few different ways and is spoken about in the Haynes manual as well.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~
    Name of wagon: GO GO Yubari

yeah, but how long does it take to do this vs. 20 minute job i did ???
    I don't care how many clicks i have as long as it's in the point where i want it and as long as it works the way i expect it to work.
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

That's fine. From what I have read up on and what I have experienced, there is a proper way to do things. Here is the NASIOC LINKY.
    Older cars may have a stretched/straightened cable, which is why there is an adjuster next to the ebrake handle. However, this is not where a person should adjust their handbrake as there is only enough play for 3 or 4 'adjustments' before you run out of cable. The first step should be always adjust the parking brake itself, NOT adjust the parking brake lever to compensate for the parking brake. Then if it feels like it still goes too much over the 4-7 notches, that is when you adjust the lever.
    Last edited by Demian; 11-16-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~
    Name of wagon: GO GO Yubari

Quote Originally Posted by rex.effect
    After your adjustment, how many clicks does your e-brake have? My Honda manual used to say 7-9 clicks, but I felt this was too loose. Since I am new to Subaru's, I don't know what the service manual recommends.
    hey i checked just for you while i was comming back from work and now mine holds at 5 clicks
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    hey i checked just for you while i was comming back from work and now mine holds at 5 clicks
    Much appreciated. Thats, bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian
    That's fine. From what I have read up on and what I have experienced, there is a proper way to do things. Here is the NASIOC LINKY.
    Older cars may have a stretched/straightened cable, which is why there is an adjuster next to the ebrake handle. However, this is not where a person should adjust their handbrake as there is only enough play for 3 or 4 'adjustments' before you run out of cable. The first step should be always adjust the parking brake itself, NOT adjust the parking brake lever to compensate for the parking brake. Then if it feels like it still goes too much over the 4-7 notches, that is when you adjust the lever.
    You, too. I will try to adjust from the brake, if time permits. I will probably adjust from the lever first, then go through the proper one if it needs a second adjustment.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast