Tire life and cost?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tire life and cost? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am really wanting to get a wrx but im worried about tire prices. 17,000 miles on tires is way ...

Tire life and cost?

I am really wanting to get a wrx but im worried about tire prices.
    17,000 miles on tires is way too little for me. What tires last the longest, how much do they cost? I live in south florida so i dont need to worry about snow, just rain.
    I am also considering an 05 rsx S. do you think i would get better tire life with one of those?
    thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the ones that last the most are the ones that are too crappy to drive on them. That's usually the rule
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Thats true, like pirellis for instance - it lasts longer than others but its also the loudest. Ofcourse I could be wrong. I liked the yokohamas but it is kind of pricey

Honestly I dont think tire price should play a role in your car decision. I have Toyo Proxies4 on my 05 WRX with 14,000 miles and they are still in pretty good shape. I got rims and those tires(17s) for $600.
    GET A WRX OVER A RSX anyday.

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock RE92s were sort of crappy on '02-'05 models, but they would last 30k miles or so. The new 17" RE92s are definitely nicer tires on the '06 and I think they should last at least as long. Otherwise, several tire manufacturers offer nice V-rated street tires that will go for 30k miles, give or take. Check out discounttire.com, etc.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

1 word

Slicks

J/K
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I got 33k miles on my stock RE92's before I had to replace 2 due to a hole in the tire that kept leaking.

I went with Yokohama V4S's and they are fine. Had them on my Eclipse turbo and they will get you a lot of mileage and are relatively quiet. Slightly better grip than the RE92's but not significantly more but they are also cheap.

you can get Falken Ziex for about $50 a tire @ edgeperformance.com, i don't know about the thread life on them but you certainly get better grip than with the RE92s
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    you can get Falken Ziex for about $50 a tire @ edgeperformance.com, i don't know about the thread life on them but you certainly get better grip than with the RE92s
    It seems like almost anything has better grip than the RE92's.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    The age of a tire plays an important role in traction - not just tread depth. After a tire has a few years on it, it may not stick to the road like it should. The compounds in a tire break down over time. IMO high mileage tires are no bargain as you are losing some adhesion when the tires age regardless of the tread remaining.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i bought sum kumho ecsta supra 712s after the stockers went out( actually had to get new tires cuz i got a fix it ticket), they are a bargain performance tire, they offer a ton more grip than the re92s and are fairly cheap, and they last a long time.. on the other hand u could buy sum softer rubber for more money, and if you rotate your tires vigorously, they will last a good amount of time also.. its your call
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

I got some nitto 450's for about $59 a piece with free shipping. I like them better than the re 92's.

I got them from tires.com

I've got 32k on my re92's right now and they still look like they have some life left in em.

My RE92's need to replaced and they only have 28,000 miles on them.

I read they were crappy tires and this confirms it. So, I'm tire shopping! My inspection is due this month and there's no way I'll pass with these RE92's.

A friend suggested Bridgestone Potenza RE 950's. He has those on his Subaru Legacy GT. I had Nitto 450's on my '93 Prelude before it got totalled three years ago. Those were nice tires.

So,... I'm looking.

Quote Originally Posted by 04WhtWRX
    My RE92's need to replaced and they only have 28,000 miles on them.

I read they were crappy tires and this confirms it. So, I'm tire shopping! My inspection is due this month and there's no way I'll pass with these RE92's.

A friend suggested Bridgestone Potenza RE 950's. He has those on his Subaru Legacy GT. I had Nitto 450's on my '93 Prelude before it got totalled three years ago. Those were nice tires.

So,... I'm looking.
    I have the 450's I got them for cheap money at tires.com. I like them...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.