Getting your WRX ready for winter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Getting your WRX ready for winter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What do you guys do to get your WRX ready for winter? Anything special? I wish I could just park ...

Getting your WRX ready for winter

What do you guys do to get your WRX ready for winter? Anything special?

I wish I could just park my WRX for the winter, but I have to drive it. Any recommendations on what to do for winter? Polish and/or wax?

I'd like to put a good coat of wax on it before it gets any colder and snows here in Michigan. But it's already cold out and I'm sure we won't have anymore days above 55. Can I still wax it at this cold of a temperature? Any wax recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Screw parking it - it's just about the best car on the road in the snow! It's such a new car, you shouldn't have to worry about the coolant. A coat of wax is definitely a good idea. You can still wax @ 55 deg. Search in exterior and appearance for waxes. In Michigan take it to a car wash with underbody spray as often as possible to rinse off all the salt they use up there.
    Last edited by GV27; 10-30-2002 at 11:03 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

yeah, it get's too cold to hand wash or self wash up here in Boston. it's a spicy 40 degrees today! so i admit i do occasionally take it to the machine wash so i can clean the salt and sand off the undercarriage.

as for a wax, i'll probably get one more hand wash done at the self wash, then use my mom's garage for a good seasonal wax. i'm a little late this year though.

otherwise, i just had a 30K service done (not at the ripoff dealer though) which included a coolant system flush, and a bunch of other stuff. see the thread "30K service WTF" in this forum.

dR

55 is a good day. Lately it's been 40 - 50 I think. I need a good wax recommendation. Caranuba would be hard to spread and rub off in this cold, wouldn't it?

IIRC Meguiars makes the caranuba wax in a liquid form also. Probably the consistency of shampoo, I would think.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I washed and waxed my car yesterday.. I used NuFinish, it's not exactly wax I don't think, but it's easy to apply and buff off.. I've heard it's good, but I don't really know.. it did seem to leave some slight swirl looking patterns in the paint, nothing bad, and it'll probably be gone after I wash it again.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Getting your WRX ready for winter

Originally posted by verbal
    What do you guys do to get your WRX ready for winter?
    Take out summer floor mats. put in winter floor mats. Check coolant temp rating.

Winter driving is fun!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Winter floor mats?

Would mud flaps be a good investment?

This year I used Turtle wax for my winter wax. Consumer reports rated it the hardest longest lasting wax. I am hoping it will get me through a few months of winter. I also got the rubber winter mats, a must if you get snow.
    TJSUPE

I Support ClubWRX
    Winter floor mats?

Would mud flaps be a good investment?
    I think you can see part of the winter mats in my car in the link below. They are subaru brand winter mats for the WRX (and probably all Impreza.) Heavy rubber with deep grooves. They cover the whole footwell and hold about a quart of melted snow. Highly recommended. Or get the WeatherTech ones. We've used them for years in many previous cars and trucks. however, I've read the WRX WeatherTech mats need trimmed to fit. This has not been needed on any of my other cars.

Don't know about mudflaps. I'v eread the rears from a Outback fit, nut the fronts need cut to fit? Maybe it wasn't an Outback. Someone else chime in here...

The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

I Support ClubWRX
    If your car is black, be very careful with the wax or you'll get swirls. DO NOT use turtle wax on black. WAY to abrasive.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

tan
    clean your rims and wax them to protect them for salt and brake dust, and makes them easier to clean.

Keep some Drygas handy (I normally use with every tank)

Keep the tank at least half tank (avoids condensation, at least what I heard)....

Smorris, where can I get those mats? Expensive?

I searched the forums for mud flaps and found a site that sells flaps that don't require any modding. Just bolt in and go. I might get them for winter.

I Support ClubWRX
    Smorris, where can I get those mats? Expensive?
    What, the Subaru ones? From the Subaru dealer, or subaruparts.com or some place like that.

For the weathertech mats, try www.weathertech.com

The Morris Garage
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Umm... What is your definition of winter?

What would one need to do for -30F temperatures and snow measured in feet not inches? (It was -5F this morning when I drove to work - car did not want to warm up!)

For some reason, the WRX seems "humid." Every day when I drive it now, all the interior windows have ice on the inside of the window - anyone know how to fix that?

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.