My car is out of oil! Help!

This is a discussion on My car is out of oil! Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I got to work this morning, I got out of my car ('03 WRX sedan), and I noticed a ...

My car is out of oil! Help!

When I got to work this morning, I got out of my car ('03 WRX sedan), and I noticed a small puddle of oil under the car. I took a closer look and it was dripping from the oil filter seal. I called my wife at home and had her look on the floor of our garage for oil. She said there was about a teaspoon of it on the floor. I then checked my oil level, and it was pretty much empty. There was just a little bit on the very end of the dipstick. So, I think, for whatever reason, that it started leaking from the oil filter last night, and I blew it all out on my way to work this morning (about 12 miles from my house).

First, do our cars have a low oil level light that comes on? If so, mine never did. Does that mean that I'll be okay, assuming I get a new filter and oil before I drive it anywhere? If we don't have a low oil level light, how much damage have I done?

This sucks.
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer
    When I got to work this morning, I got out of my car ('03 WRX sedan), and I noticed a small puddle of oil under the car. I took a closer look and it was dripping from the oil filter seal. I called my wife at home and had her look on the floor of our garage for oil. She said there was about a teaspoon of it on the floor. I then checked my oil level, and it was pretty much empty. There was just a little bit on the very end of the dipstick. So, I think, for whatever reason, that it started leaking from the oil filter last night, and I blew it all out on my way to work this morning (about 12 miles from my house).

First, do our cars have a low oil level light that comes on? If so, mine never did. Does that mean that I'll be okay, assuming I get a new filter and oil before I drive it anywhere? If we don't have a low oil level light, how much damage have I done?

This sucks.
    If you still had a little on the dipstick, you were probably about 2qts down. There is still enough in the engine to protect it. If the oil pressure light didn't come on, you never lost oil pressure. Odds are, you're fine. If you want some real peace of mind, drain the oil, and send a sample to the lab to be analyzed.

Sweet! I actually keep two quarts of oil in the trunk, just in case. I'll probably just pour those two in there, check the level, and if it's okay, drive it home and do a full change there tonight.

Thanks, man! I've been worrying about this all morning. I'll most likely have an ulcer, but at least my baby will be okay! Thanks again!
    -Lee

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet! I actually keep two quarts of oil in the trunk, just in case. I'll probably just pour those two in there, check the level, and if it's okay, drive it home and do a full change there tonight.

Thanks, man! I've been worrying about this all morning. I'll most likely have an ulcer, but at least my baby will be okay! Thanks again!
    Only put a little in at a time until the level is correct. Over filling is also bad for the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Only put a little in at a time until the level is correct. Over filling is also bad for the engine.
    That's what I meant to say I was going to do. I just suck at the intAr-globo-web.
    -Lee

I Support ClubWRX
    That's what I meant to say I was going to do. I just suck at the intAr-globo-web.
    Sorry, just wanted to clarify

(and if you suck at teh intardweb, I REALLY suck at teh intardweb cuz I always ask you for help)

Well, I found out what happened. Before, I had been using Fram filters... When I removed it on my last oil change, the gasket stayed on the car. So, when I put the new Bosch filter on, I guess it couldn't form a good seal and finally decided to give up.

The lesson learned: Always check the old filter after you remove it to be sure the gasket is still there. Also, don't use Fram filters.

Luckily, I still have the old Fram filter, so I took a pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filters (Medium).JPG  
    -Lee

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, the double gasket is the leading cause of blown engines from oil changes. Don't feel bad, many many people have done it. Fortunately you were able to catch it in time. Also, I used to use Fram a long time ago, but stopped because the quality of their filters started to get really shoddy. They used to have anti-drain back valves inside of all of them, but the seem do have done away with it on most of their filters. I would assume to save money. I've been using Purolator Pure One filters on my truck, and Scooby filters on my rex. The Pure one filters are very nice.