Stock battery life?

This is a discussion on Stock battery life? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How long has the factory battery lasted for some of you? Mine is about 3 1/2 years old at this ...

Stock battery life?

How long has the factory battery lasted for some of you? Mine is about 3 1/2 years old at this point and it's not holding a charge anymore. I haven't checked to see if there's some sort of power drain, but if there was, I'd think the battery would be dead by now (5 days after I noticed the battery wasn't holding charge). I'm probably just going to go buy one to replace it, but just wanted to make sure this isn't very premature for battery failure.

Thanks all,
    Jerry
    2002 WRB WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine is about that old (3 years and 3 months), and I haven't had any problems yet. However, mine could crap out in the next couple of months.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on usage. 3.5 years doesn't seem overly short - mine sure didn't seem too strong when new!
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    4 or 5 years is pretty good. I never had one last much longer than that.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Just traded my factory battery for an Optima on my '02. It had started to labor when
    you started it in the morning. So we're talking about 3.5 years on the factory battery.
    In the battery industry they talk about 2.5 years being the average life. Always seemed
    short to me. 3-4 years is good on a factory-style flooded battery.

How much was that Optima?
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    I just bought one at Advance for my 4Runner. ~$110. Well worth the money.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

If you fill the Yusa battery to the full line with distilled woter and do not allow the level to drop to the point where the top of the plates are dry, it will last 7 years or more. If you don't mantain it at all, or fill it with hard tap water, 3 years would be a long life. Your not turning over a 454 big block, just a low compresion 2 litre.

A Yusa battery? You've got to be kidding. It's a motorcycle battery manufacturer. They're
    not so red-hot. The one in my '02 was maintenanced like a big dog. Not only were the
    fluid levels in the cells kept at the right level, but the specific gravity of all the cells was
    kept at 1.285 via battery hydrometer.
    Even the best flooded batteries suffer from manufacturing defects/irregularities. If you're
    getting seven years from an OE battery, good for you. That has not been my experience
    with Exide, Johnson Controls, Delphi, Douglas, East Penn or Yusa.
    And considering that's what I did for a living up til 2002, it ought to count for something.
    I'd rather have a sealed battery. The Optima is a sealed, regenerative Absorbant Glass
    Mat battery. In comparison to a flooded electrolyte battery it's like a caveman with a
    club vs a nuclear weapon.
    I'll pay Summit Racing $120 for a battery I'm not going to give a second thought to for
    seven years..... in a heartbeat

I haven't done any sort of maintenance at all to my OEM battery and it's still going strong after 3 1/2 years. I'll probably be getting an Optima red-top when it finally craps out though.
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Jeez - what a waste of time worrying about electrolyte levels in your battery! Just get as maintenance free battery and be done with it. My last Optima lasted 7 years. No maintenance, no leaks, no worries. Like I said - worth every penny and then some!

I think bsieling might be right - Yuasa is OEM. Every Yuasa I've ever had in a motorcycle was an overpriced piece of crap. I feel very lucky to have finally discovered that you can get Exide motorcycle batteries at Checker that cost half as much and last three times as long.....

1993 Honda CBR600F2

for regular use the optima i guess is alright.
    i have had many problems with opitmas probably because im runing systems with them. i have had a interstae battery in my car and never had a problem. cheaper too . only different really is you can turnt he optima upside down and it will still work because it is a gel cell. interstates are fine to me cheaper and for me never had any problems. which is what im probaby going to do get a interstae and upgrade my grounds.

Please be reminded that this is the Maintenance and Service Forum and the beginning thread was an inquiry by exDSMr about the how long the OEM battery would last.

(Stock battery life?
    How long has the factory battery lasted for some of you? Mine is about 3 1/2 years old at this point and it's not holding a charge anymore. I haven't checked to see if there's some sort of power drain, but if there was, I'd think the battery would be dead by now (5 days after I noticed the battery wasn't holding charge). I'm probably just going to go buy one to replace it, but just wanted to make sure this isn't very premature for battery failure.)

No one worries about electrolyte levels in their battery however I also check the tire pressure and oil level. With the YUSA batteries translucent case it only takes a glance to check the level while the hood is open. Doesnít that sound like Maintenance? The Optima battery may be the best battery made but with most people trading their cars after 3 to 5 years, the added cost is not justified. Dad was right. ďDonít fix it if it ainít broke.Ē