Another Blackstone Oil Analysis
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Another Blackstone Oil Analysis within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is my second. It seems better in some respects, but still high in a few areas. This drain interval ...

I Support ClubWRX

Another Blackstone Oil Analysis

This is my second. It seems better in some respects, but still high in a few areas. This drain interval saw stage 2 added and about 10 autox events. Blackstone seems to paint a happy face on it. I have PM'd SD_GR to ask him to have a look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oil Report 10-1-2005.jpg  
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi there!

This motor is basically still breaking in if I read correctly - just 15K miles on the motor itself and 5K on this oil sample, correct? I'd be interested in seeing what the numbers look like in another 15K miles. I didn't bother doing my first analysis until my motor had 30K on it, as I knew the wear metals would be higher before the motor is completely broken in and I'd heard rumours that the EJ series takes a while to settle down.

OK, your flash point is lower and your fuel higher than one might want but they have reasonable explanations why, and your flash point is almost certainly a result of the fuel in there anyway. Not too worried. You're keeping an eye on it anyway and they're not shaken by it either.

As for the rest of the values, they are actually quite good and if this were any other motor (example: a GM product like the LS1 V8 etc.) they'd be fantastic. Consider that you've put some rough use on it with 10 autox events or so and the oil has 5K miles on it when tested, and it puts it into perspective.

What we care about are the following: Al (from the pistons and bearings ), Cr (almost entirely rings I think in our motors), Fe (bores and valves) Cu (bushings, bearings, the oil cooler or pre-heater thingy above the oil filter I think) Pb and Sn (bearings mostly). Your wear metals are on the way down as the miles on the motor increase despite the autox use, which is very encouraging IMO.

Of the rest, your oil has Mo in it as an additive (only M1 5W-40 does not, nor does Delvac1, but the other Mobils do and you're using a 5W-30) and Si is either from your filter (I recall another conversation we had regarding this) or gaskets and dirt in the atmosphere. It's still not outrageous and if you want you can switch to the stock filter and see if that lowers the Si.
    EDIT: Don't recall if your Stg2 specs an aftermarket filter or not, so disregard comment if it does.

I think this report is just fine actually and I'd recommend you change the oil as it's got fuel in it and is probably tired by now. I'd not go more than 5K per oil change with this use pattern and this oil but I'd also not be concerned about anything, it's all fine.

PS Somebody posted an analysis report on a Murcielago just after yours at Bob's site... I find it refreshing that people who own cars rivaling my home in cost not only change their own oil, but also strip the oil pan threads just like the rest of us. Oh, and his numbers are no better than yours or mine...
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-10-2005 at 06:24 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks. I'm largely OK with it. I guess I am establishing a pattern of wear early on by doing samples so soon. Like a photo album of a new baby.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Exactly. Long-term stuff is great info to have and a real tool when trying to see what the motor is doing.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is another thread going on this: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=3;t=002956

I have removed the K&N air filter and replaced with the original OEM that I wisely saved (it only has 1K miles on it).. I seem to read more negative comments (especially at Bob's) than positive. We’ll see what difference it makes on the next change.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    It will be interesting to see what they say re: your question on high % fuel and the relatively short trips you take. My guess is that the two are definitely related but they would be able to answer much better. I can't think of another explanation for the fuel as the other numbers (wear metals) are fine especially considering the motor has low miles on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    They already answered that question:

1.3% fuel dillution isn't a problem and may be normal if you do a lot of city driving and/or idling.
    Take that puppy out for an "Italian Tune-up"!

Not sure about that guy's study linked to from bobistheoilguy.com - IIRC Subaru changed up OEM filter manufacturers at least once while I had my car (just by looking at the can - it changed. I agree, not very authoritative).........[Forrest Gump]OEM filters are like a box of chocolates......[/Forrest Gump]
    Last edited by GV27; 10-12-2005 at 12:05 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I Support ClubWRX
    I only used a Purolator filter a couple times in 40k+ miles, even though for a long while the OEM was identical and that's just my paranoia: if the OEM was faulty and sent something into my valvetrain or rings, or if it gave zero flow, it's SOA's problem, but if the same filter without the SOA P/N on it failed in the same way, it'd be my problem (good luck getting any meaningful recourse from a filter co.'s "guarantee" etc.).

Truth be known, I don't like the newer filters because they're too dark to write on! I use a red sharpee and write the date and mileage the filter was installed when I install it, and then the date and mileage it was removed when I remove it (I then keep the old filter until my warrantee is up). I can't really see red sharpee on a black filter so I've taken to using little stickers and/or writing on the filter container.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh Yeah, I'm hookin' ya up my man!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...41605?v=glance
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm... That's a fine product you've linked to GV! I'm tempted to try it out.

What I was thinking about previously are those bright yellow markers that people use to mark used parts in wrecking yards etc. That'd work on anything I think. Do you know what those are?

Failing that yellow thing I'm getting the gray sharpie above though! Yay!

I Support ClubWRX
    I think they use paint markers like this:

http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewprod...p?sku=SAN34905

or this:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...ice%20Supplies

You can get the silver ones anywhere - grocery store, drug store, etc. Most office or craft stores should have the paint markers. Michaels has them in about 2000 colors! Gold might look good. Or candy-apple red. Or pink with purple specs or lemon-lime or...........Michaels probably has a WRB one! I guess that doesn't help since the Subaru and PureOne filters are basically that color!
    Last edited by GV27; 10-13-2005 at 01:42 PM.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I might try your idea of marking the filter. I keep a dry-erase board in my garage and mark off a section to keep track of the next oil change and current fill brand and weight plus I keep a log book. I've been known to forget to mark them down though........

The timing cover on my 4Runner is marked in silver sharpie w/ date of last timing belt replacement. Self-documentation is handy.

C

1993 Honda CBR600F2

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if I could get the paint marker in lime green with pink polka dots, that'd be fantastic but I'd settle for yellow actually.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    Take that puppy out for an "Italian Tune-up"!
    Is that what I think it is? Full throttle for a full tank full of gas or something?

Q: Why are you guys writing dates and mileages on filters? I simply made a spreadsheet with all of my service record information.

I mark my filters 1 2 3 4 so I can see how many turns to tighten.
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.