Differences in Gas??

This is a discussion on Differences in Gas?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know if there is a difference in the gas you would get at the big companies like Exxon/Mobil ...

Question Differences in Gas??

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the gas you would get at the big companies like Exxon/Mobil or sunoco and the little stations like raceway and anything else like that? Is one places gas better then the other? Kinda random and just like to know if someone has some info on it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fuel companies get a lot of their product from the same distribution pool. Gasoline has to meet certain minimum requirements, so it's pretty much the same from one brand to the next. Additive concentrations may different between brands, but then again additive conctentrations can different from one Mobil to the next.

I am not loyal to any one brand (even though ExxonMobil is my company's largest client), but I have friends who won't buy anything but Mobil or anything but Shell, etc. I like to get my gas from newer stations that I know have new tanks, piping, and dispensers. I see a fair number of station upgrades/rebuilds and the old piping is not something I want my gasoline flowing through.

Also, check out this current thread: GAS & OCTANE
    Last edited by Darrell; 10-04-2005 at 06:30 PM.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

The only ones I would really avoid are the ones that operate on the principle of having the cheapest gas available (whether it's Wal-Mart or Costco, or some no-name convenience store). They just buy what's the cheapest, whether it's from Exxon, Shell or whatever Liberian-registered tanker pulled up to the dock this week. So some may be fine, some may be ****ty, but you never know, from one week to the next. But, as Darrell said, most fuel comes from a few sources, and the further you get from the sources (i.e. a coastline or oilfield, and even the oilfields are sometimes one company) the less variation there will be. Of course, that doesn't help you in Jersey...

Darrell: very interesting, your comment about the age of the station. I hadn't ever considered that. Does a remodel of a station mean all new piping, or could a remodel of an old station (e.g. just cosmetic fitting of new pumps) leave old tanks andpiping in place?

PS. I love your pic of the diesel fried chicken. I know of a used car dealer and a chinese take-out that share premises, and their sign reads "Japanese Autos Take-away Dinners". I'll have to try and get a picture.
    Last edited by perfusionista; 10-04-2005 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    Darrell: very interesting, your comment about the age of the station. I hadn't ever considered that. Does a remodel of a station mean all new piping, or could a remodel of an old station (e.g. just cosmetic fitting of new pumps) leave old tanks andpiping in place?
    Generally if the pumps are new (internal components not just a spruce-up), the piping is new. Now, that doesn't mean that the tanks are new. We oversee a what we call "tank top upgrades" where the contractor replaces everything in the onsite distribution system EXCEPT for the tanks. The tanks are usually completely cleaned out during the project though. If you drive by the station in question, just keep an eye on the progress of the project taking notice if new tanks or crushed old tanks are present. If the tank location changes, you can be sure the tanks were replaced. No one reuses tanks once they are pulled.

We've had a few stories of watered-down gasoline around here, but often times it's because of leaky tanks mixing product with groundwater. And don't be shocked that watr is in the tanks because water gets into the tanks on a regular basis. Companies like Clean Harbors have full-time contracts to vacuum out water from the bottoms of tanks weekly or more often if it's rained.

PS. I love your pic of the diesel fried chicken. I know of a used car dealer and a chinese take-out that share premises, and their sign reads "Japanese Autos Take-away Dinners". I'll have to try and get a picture.[/QUOTE]
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.