stock battery die in less than a year
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on stock battery die in less than a year within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; it's been sitting for two days and this morning, i can't start the engine. my passport reads the voltage is ...

stock battery die in less than a year

it's been sitting for two days and this morning, i can't start the engine. my passport reads the voltage is 12.5 - 12.7. i suppose that's kind of low to start right?

now, the problem is, how can it get so low? when i'm driving, the voltage is usually 14.7 to 15. and this is a new car new battery.

any comments?

ray
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

do you take frequent short trips, i'd say about 5miles??
    if you do than the battery doesn't have chance to recharge properly and will fail sooner than it supposed to.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

its your driving style and short trips, i have over 60k on the stock battery here and i make short trips alot but i usually let the car sit for a few hours or more to recharge.. either that or u got a dud for a battery
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

i think it's not a battery problem. the voltage reads 12.8v so it's almost a fully charged battery. i called the roadside assistant and they are coming for a jump start. we'll see...

ray

Quote Originally Posted by WRayX
    i think it's not a battery problem. the voltage reads 12.8v so it's almost a fully charged battery. i called the roadside assistant and they are coming for a jump start. we'll see...

ray
    well could be your alternator then, have you noticed your headlights and or interior lights getting low?
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Quote Originally Posted by WRayX
    my passport reads the voltage is 12.5 - 12.7. i suppose that's kind of low to start right?
    Thats the normal range for a good battery w/ the car off, after its started it should be in the 13.9 - 14.7 range

Edit : your battery isnt the problem
    Last edited by ScoobVee; 10-02-2005 at 04:11 PM.
    - Local Riceist

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    its your driving style and short trips, i have over 60k on the stock battery here and i make short trips alot but i usually let the car sit for a few hours or more to recharge.. either that or u got a dud for a battery
    You let your car idle in the driveway for a few hours or more to recharge the battery? If not, then your battery isn't recharging. That's the only option aside from a magically recharging battery.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

the kid came and started my car with his portable jumper. but i still don't think it's a battery problem. why? with his portable battery on, i tried 3 times and each time letting the starter to work for 3 seconds. that didn't work, so he took the key and try. but he just let the starter run and run for like 10 seconds striage. then the engine started.

i drove for half n hour and now when the engine stopped, it reads 13.2v. while i was driving, it reads 14.6v.

i'll take the car in for a checkup tomorrow since the first warrenty is going in a month.

ray

Ray

I have an 03 and replaced my battery in the first year, i replaced it with a higher amp battery. I dont have any other sorta electrical equipment in my car. I think its just subaru batteries. I use to get alot of dual and flickering lights when my car was at idle. The new battery solved everything.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.