AWD - One Flat tire question?

This is a discussion on AWD - One Flat tire question? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey whats up, So I got a screw in my sidewall of my one of my tires. So it needs ...

AWD - One Flat tire question?

Hey whats up,

So I got a screw in my sidewall of my one of my tires. So it needs to be replaced. I was told because I have AWD, that i have to replace all 4 tires??? Is this true..or is someone trying to make money off me? My tread is at 65% all the way around. Can I just buy one tire?? Any suggestions? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well... i wouldnt recommend only changing one tire when the other three all have more than 20% use.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

At the very least, I think you'll need to buy two. And even that's not the best solution. You can get the new one shaved down, but I don't know how many places can actually do that. It seems kind of crappy to intentionally cut tread off a new tire, but not as crappy as throwing the others away.

Or maybe you should just upgrade to a better set of tires.

Maybe it's time for some 18 inch rims and tires I didnt want to do this until the spring though. What a waste of perfectly half used set of stock tires.

you pretty much have to replace all 4. I usually get the tire insurance so when my tire gets killed and I have to replace all 4, at least I get 1 free one.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I've read on this forum people have purcahsed 1 new tire. Then had it shaved down to the size of the other tires.

Do most shops offer this?

If the tires are worth keeping buy 1 tire and get it shaved. Tire Rack does this. Measure the other 3 at multiple locations for tread depth and ask them to match that for you. Shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbaj
    If the tires are worth keeping buy 1 tire and get it shaved. Tire Rack does this. Measure the other 3 at multiple locations for tread depth and ask them to match that for you. Shouldn't be a problem.
    +1
    Dave
    01 RS

or try to buy one stock RE92 with similar wear from someone who has them laying around in a garage because they don't need those crappy stockers,
    there should be some threads with those for sale here or at Nasioc.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

wait if these are re92's youre talking about, then i'd say this is a great time to get some real tires.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Hey thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll try to find a used tire in my area or get one shaved down..didnt know they did that ..thanks.