where do you get brakes changed?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on where do you get brakes changed? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey you guys go anywhere other than subaru to get brakes changed? i dont have time and i need to ...

where do you get brakes changed?

hey you guys go anywhere other than subaru to get brakes changed? i dont have time and i need to get my brakes changed asap. i was thinking firestone, or brake check or something. i got brakes and fluid
    Fadi....
    • 04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    • 05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    DIY. It is relatively easy.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Definitely, especially if you're just talking about a pad change.

DIY here too
    - Local Riceist

Yep, DIY if just the pad or fluid change. If I am running tight on time I guess I would revert back to the local shop that worked on my last car. Lower rates than the dealer and I had a pretty good relationship with them. I could trust them to do the work right and the price was fair.
    Sears and Meineke have been good to me in the past (in terms of speed, customer service and quality of work)
    My beef with places like Sears & Meineke are a simple pad change becomes a $400 job when they list all the other "worn" parts that "need" to be replaced, not to mention the annoying up sales (hey, we'll cut you a deal and install premium wipers for you for $19.99 today only! ). I learned my lesson when I was younger with my first two cars. Now I pretty much wrench it myself at all possible.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLFAN
    My beef with places like Sears & Meineke are a simple pad change becomes a $400 job when they list all the other "worn" parts that "need" to be replaced, not
    Yep, this strategy is particularly effective on people like my wife. They use to scare her into spending 5 times what she had intended to spend. Now, if for some reason she finds herself at a shop, she's under strict orders to talk to me before doing anything additional...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Yep, this strategy is particularly effective on people like my wife. They use to scare her into spending 5 times what she had intended to spend. Now, if for some reason she finds herself at a shop, she's under strict orders to talk to me before doing anything additional...
    That is exactly who I had in mind when I wrote that! My wife who was my GF at the time fell for it every time and it used to make me soooo mad. "You paid $20 for wipers???!!!"...Her--> "But they are premiums and they installed them for me"
    Me--> DOH!

I Support ClubWRX
    It pays to have a smidgen of car knowledge. My inlaws know exactly zero about cars, and have been taken by dealers and shops time and time again. I can't even talk them out of it, because they believe if it came from a mechanic's mouth it must be gospel..

^ i know many people who are like that.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    It pays to have a smidgen of car knowledge. My inlaws know exactly zero about cars, and have been taken by dealers and shops time and time again. I can't even talk them out of it, because they believe if it came from a mechanic's mouth it must be gospel..
    I see that all the time at my job. Mechanic: "Ya you need new breaks and so much more, all this in here is worn down and cant be fixed, must be replaced." People just obey. Some people do know better, most dont.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX

+1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle lewie wrx
    I see that all the time at my job. Mechanic: "Ya you need new breaks and so much more, all this in here is worn down and cant be fixed, must be replaced." People just obey. Some people do know better, most dont.
    Uncle Lewie
    My sister hung out with me and my wrench-turning friends enough growing up to pick up a few things. Way back in the late '80's, she had the following exchange with a mechanic:

Mechanic:Well, we're going to need to do some work on your fuel system.
    Sister: What's wrong with it?
    Mechanic: Near as I can tell, your carburetor needs to be rebuilt.
    Sister: Err, my car is fuel injected.
    Mechanic:Ummm..
    Sister: I'll be leaving now...

I was so proud..

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    My sister hung out with me and my wrench-turning friends enough growing up to pick up a few things. Way back in the late '80's, she had the following exchange with a mechanic:

Mechanic:Well, we're going to need to do some work on your fuel system.
    Sister: What's wrong with it?
    Mechanic: Near as I can tell, your carburetor needs to be rebuilt.
    Sister: Err, my car is fuel injected.
    Mechanic:Ummm..
    Sister: I'll be leaving now...

I was so proud..
    Thats awesome. I see people getting new tires/breaks whole radio's being replaced not under warranty all day, Id like to say something to the customers, but id get fired. Im in a lose lose situation.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

I Support ClubWRX
    When I bought my 4Runner w/ 150k+ miles on it it had a completely new brake system. Apparently the guy had taken it in for new pads or rotors or whatever before he went to sell it and they talked him into replacing everything. Told him that he could get sued if the next owner had a problem. And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING! Pads, rotors, calipers (all 4!!!), soft lines, proportioning valve, booster and master cylinder! The only thing that wasn't replaced were the hard lines and the pedal! Cost him like $1800 according the the reciept, I believe. I know it's an old truck, but c'mon! You know those rear calipers at worst needed a simple rebuild probably the fronts and master cylinder as well. Most likely there was nothing wrong with any of those parts. Sucker!

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.