Removing oil filter the day after the change
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Removing oil filter the day after the change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I saw another thread on this, but thought I'd make a new one. Maybe it'll get a quicker response. I ...

Removing oil filter the day after the change

I saw another thread on this, but thought I'd make a new one. Maybe it'll get a quicker response.

I did my first oil change last night. First for the WRX and first ever for me. I had some problems, but you live and learn right?

I couldn't get the filter off because I didn't have a tool. It was getting dark so I just added new oil and called it a night. A friend told me that I'll have to do the whole change over again when I change the filter, which I'm doing tomorrow. So do I have to do a whole change? Or can I just change the filter? Will I spill any oil?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Unless you are really fast (you're not ), you'll spill oil all over the place. You will definitely have to drain the oil first before removing the oil filter. Maybe you could catch all the oil and put it back in, but I'd just put new oil in anyway, as it would be a lot easier, and oil isn't THAT expensive (unless it's synthetic, of course).
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

tan
    I'don't think you need to. In a cold engine, the vast majority of the engine oil is in the oil pan. There will be some oil at the filter (and in) the oil filter though.

I Support ClubWRX
    One of the members did this recently and only lost 1/2 qt. of oil.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Oil Filter question

After read that thread I decided to make this one.

I really need to know. If I don't have to drain the oil, then I'd rather not. The car will be cold, or a LITTLE warm, if I do it. If I do take it off, will there be oil dripping from where the oil filter goes? Will I have to hurry? I won't tip the filter since there will probably be oil in it.

What do you guys think? I really need to know by tomorrow. I'd like to avoid staining the driveway again. Even though it is easily cleaned up with kitty litter.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the question ha been answered, but here goes again.

No, you don't have to drain all the oil. Most of it is down in the pan well below the filter.

Yes, you will lose some oil so use a pan.

No, it won't really help to hurry. What will come out is going to come out right away.

It's probably a good idea to do it with the motor cold.

Have a quart of oil on hand to replenish what you lose.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

gv27 is correct and i was the one that lost 1/2 quart or whatever...and i dont care how fast you are you're getting oil spilled from the filter. Oil pan it and your good to go. w00t gv27

OT: wtf car is that in your avatar? (gv27)
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Road version of the supercharged and turbocharged Lancia Delta S4 Group B car. Pretty freakin' cool way the body work opens, eh? Please see sticky Rally History Lesson in Everyday Impreza Talk forum.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Will it pour out? Should I just loosen it first and let it sit?

Originally posted by verbal
    are you worried to get oil on you or somthing. Doesn't matter how you take it out ur going to get oil. Trust me/us
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by verbal
    No, it won't pour. The WRX uses a special oil and it will actually levitate and fly out. Be sure to close your eyes and mouth.

Originally posted by FUNKED1

No, it won't pour. The WRX uses a special oil and it will actually levitate and fly out. Be sure to close your eyes and mouth.
    ROFLMAO
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much oil will come out. What I should expect.

If this is the type of responses I'm going to get, I wonder why I signed up to this board. If you read my first post, this was the first time changing my oil. I just like knowing what I'm getting myself into.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you just got a negative reaction (not very helpful) to making too big a deal out of it. As Speed said, you'll get about half a quart. As I said, most of the oil is down in the pan. Loosen it a little, let it drain for a minute, then pull it the rest of the way off. No big deal. Have a pan ready, and don't be scared to get a little on your hands.

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Originally posted by GV27
    I think you just got a negative reaction (not very helpful) to making too big a deal out of it. As Speed said, you'll get about half a quart. As I said, most of the oil is down in the pan. Loosen it a little, let it drain for a minute, then pull it the rest of the way off. No big deal. Have a pan ready, and don't be scared to get a little on your hands.
    i dont think i've ever done an oil change where i didn't get any on my hands
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.