Spark Plugs

This is a discussion on Spark Plugs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did a search and there are so many opinions on plugs. Ok, here it goes.... I have a 2002 ...

Spark Plugs

I did a search and there are so many opinions on plugs. Ok, here it goes....

I have a 2002 WRX. Stock plugs in it. Mods: complete Top Speed exhaust system (header, uppipe, downpipe, cat back) and no cats, all a 3" system. K&N with the stock intake except it does have a silencer delete elbow. Samco Intercooler hoses. Stock turbo and intercooler. EBC, Apex-I ACV-R set @ 16.25 psi. Turbo XS type H-RFL BOV.

So with these mods what is the best plug for it performance wise that last long cuz it will be a PITA to install. What gap do you set it. My car has almost 46,000 on it so it is prolly due for a plug. It also sometimes starts weak when I turn the key. Any help is appriciated much. Thanks guys!!!

-Vince
    TopSpeed S/S header, UP, DP, 3" back, no cats. Samco I/C hoses, XTurbo BOV, EBC @ 16.25 PSI. NGK Iridiuim plugs. AutoMeter pro-comp guages.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those factory plugs are really decent and meant to be used up to 100k (I think). I wouldn't worry about them too much. Start-up issues - doubt it's the spark plugs unless you're having issues while idling as well.

AD

Quote Originally Posted by WRXVinny
    I did a search and there are so many opinions on plugs. Ok, here it goes....

I have a 2002 WRX. Stock plugs in it. Mods: complete Top Speed exhaust system (header, uppipe, downpipe, cat back) and no cats, all a 3" system. K&N with the stock intake except it does have a silencer delete elbow. Samco Intercooler hoses. Stock turbo and intercooler. EBC, Apex-I ACV-R set @ 16.25 psi. Turbo XS type H-RFL BOV.

So with these mods what is the best plug for it performance wise that last long cuz it will be a PITA to install. What gap do you set it. My car has almost 46,000 on it so it is prolly due for a plug. It also sometimes starts weak when I turn the key. Any help is appriciated much. Thanks guys!!!

-Vince
    "At dawn they sleep..."

off subject

Not exactly the topic of conversation but I was recently talking to some guys and told me that that beautiful wrv rumble is in large part due to the stock headers. Does your exhaust still have this signature sound or has most of it dissapated to a rice burning sound?

eh?

Quote Originally Posted by rx4mj
    Not exactly the topic of conversation but I was recently talking to some guys and told me that that beautiful wrv rumble is in large part due to the stock headers. Does your exhaust still have this signature sound or has most of it dissapated to a rice burning sound?
    "At dawn they sleep..."

question was directed towards WRXVINNY. just curious how his exhaust sounds with everything switched out from stock. I'm rolling with everything but headers so I was just wondering how it sounded before I lost that lovely rumble.

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    The only headers that will take away the boxer rumble are equal length headers. The only reason you would want these is if you had a twin scroll turbo installed, otherwise they just take up more space and add more weight. I have heard that even with equal length headers, you don't get the honda ricer burner noise, but its not the signature boxer rumble either. Its kinda a combination. If you ever see vid of a Spec C STi, then thats what it sounds like. Now back to the task at hand, spark plugs.......ready..............go!

JH

Ian
    I have Denso Iridium spark plugs, there a little bit expensive but worth the money. I'd say go with those. I don't remember the gap off hand but it should be in your owners manual. If you have alot more done to your car like bigger turbo then you could go with a plug that is colder, otherwise a regular plug will be good
    Ludachris speed? Whats the matter Conel Sanders? Chicken?

I was just at my Suby dealer today and he said plugs are good for 60K.

Mine is 44K and is equipped pretty much like Vinny's Not sure about cats, I haven't been under it since I bought it Saturday. I like the exhaust sound. I'm not sure if my header is equal length or not (I bought it that way), but it sounds good. Not that blatty Honda w/fart can exhaust. It's a deep rumble at idle but may go to the blatty side at full throttle. Not like a beehive, but deeper.

Since my engine is BRAND SPANKIN' new (dealer installed just before I bought it!!!) I won't be romping on it much for another 1000 Mi. so I'll give a full report once it's broken in.
    "I drove like my mother in the first stage" Gigi Galli, WRC driver, Mitsubishi.

wow this a post from september last year

Quote Originally Posted by wRxOne
    wow this a post from september last year
    Wow. Not only are you perceptive, but you added a tremendous amount of invaluable information to this thread.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I just went to Denso's website and got this list of specs from them:

denso part # gap
    2002 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 2.0 L - H4 IK20 0.032

2004 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 2.0 L - H4 IK20 0.032
    2004 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI 2.5 L - H4 IKH20 0.044

and they don't have anything in there for 05 or 06 wrx's. They have them priced for $11.99

I want to replace my plugs this weekend and want to see what's available.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

2 weeks ago I changed my spark plugs and figured I'd share my experiences w/everyone. I had 51k miles and figured it was a good time to do it since they should be done at least by 60k. I looked around for some opinions and found some really good info on this other forum:

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=3;t=001466

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=005051#000002

With that knowledge, i trashed the idea of spending $12/plug on iridiums and went with coppers. NGK BKR6E to be exact. I figured, if i go with a VF39 in the future, i didn't waste the extra $1 - $2 on plugs since the coppers only last 12 - 15k anyways..

The process of changing them was a major PITA! From start to finish, it probably took about 3 hrs. I had to go to sears to get a regular 12 mm socket (I only had deeps) for the coil packs though because there is barely enough room between the chassis and the bolt.

If you don't already have one, get a the socket meant for changing spark plugs. It has this rubber insert that holds the spark plug in the socket so when you go to place the new one into the engine, it won't fall out or anything. I also recommend getting some anti-seize grease for the plugs. One of the hardest things was getting the wrench somewhere where i could apply enough force to get them started. I think that stuff will make it a lot easier the next time i go to change em.

I set my gap up for 0.030 and the engine runs great. They were close to that but not close enough. I took my time to make sure the gap was right on. I would tap the conductor tip real lightly since i didn't want to break it and measure it. If a 0.031 barely fit without any squeezing, i would tap it some more until it was just right. Basically, i read another thread where someone had to set his gap up for 0.028 and if my car didn't run correctly, i know it wasn't because i didn't take my time to set the gap up just right.

I don't know if it's placebo, but the engine seems to rev smoother. I wasn't expecting any change in riding conditions since my plugs look just fine. Here are some pics:

According to NGK's diagram, they exhibit neither fouling nor pre-ignition:
    http://home.comcast.net/~neil.lander...parkplug_2.jpg

If you don't mind tooling on your car, possibly busting a knuckle or two, and have some time to kill, go for it. Otherwise, have someone help you out or take it to the garage.

wow, that's a long post... Hopefully it was helpful though.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.