ABS Braking system?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ABS Braking system? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a letter in the mail today from Subaru, something about how they are offering to give me ...

ABS Braking system?

I just got a letter in the mail today from Subaru, something about how they are offering to give me a brand new reflashed ECU due to the braking being not as responsive as some have hoped. Anyone else get a letter?
    luxury is 1.00 BAR+ of boost and the inability for your passenger to touch the dashboard

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so did I ..dunno what it is..but as the letter states youre fvcked if you got mods.
    " I got four doors to fit more wh0res !!!"

SOCAL F4
    MEMBER "00"

(CLUBWRX'S 1ST OFFICIAL "F4" TEAM) est. May 2, 2005

wait it says
    "cars with unathorized modifications to their BRAKE system are not eligible to recieve a recalibrated ECU due to potential compatibility problems. "
    " I got four doors to fit more wh0res !!!"

SOCAL F4
    MEMBER "00"

(CLUBWRX'S 1ST OFFICIAL "F4" TEAM) est. May 2, 2005

August 2005 ABS letter

Yup. Came in today's mail. I doubt I'll take advantage. Seems like the car is engineered
    not to engage the ABS unless you're really hard into the brakes. It's probably set up
    that way deliberately. From a handling standpoint, if you're deep into a turn and intend
    on trailbraking, you don't want a computer processing your pedal input and doing something
    funky. By the same token, if you're mainly traveling in a straight line on the highway and
    need to stop quick for some bozo up ahead, you want immediate ABS engagement-
    particularly in the rain.
    I will admit that the lapse you experience when you stand on the brakes is a little
    disconcerting the first couple of times.

The letter mentions a re-calibrated ABS ECU. Is this a separate computer than the main ECU that is located underneat the glove box? My ECU is flashed, but my brakes are pretty much stock except for SS lines.
    Thanks,
    Ali

I'll go out on the proverbial limb here and postulate that the "brake ecu" is probably
    part of the engine ecu that's on the floorboard under the glove box.

Quote Originally Posted by AKESREX
    Seems like the car is engineered
    not to engage the ABS unless you're really hard into the brakes.
    I don't think the abs will engage unless it senses one of the tires locking up.
    personally i remove the abs fuse when i go to the track and I usally just leave it out during the summer cause theres time i am pulling up too an intersection fairly fast and will be braking hard and hit a bump on the rough roads and it will engage my abs then the car won't stop as fast. I wouldn't wana drive without it in the winter how ever

What year are ya'll driving? I haven't gotten anything like this yet, and I'm wondering if it's specific to certain model years. I drive an '02.
    Russell Newquist
    http://www.russellnewquist.net/

Kartboy Shifter Bushings (front)
    Samco Intercooler Hoses
    Samco Radiator Hoses
    Samco Ancillary Hoses
    Perrin Lighweight Crankshaft Pulley
    Dynamatted Doors & Trunk
    Hawk HPS Brake Pads
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires

I got this letter too. I read on the COBB forum that the ABS ECU is different from the engine ECU.
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Rex
    What year are ya'll driving? I haven't gotten anything like this yet, and I'm wondering if it's specific to certain model years. I drive an '02.
    It says '02 and '03 in the letter. Has anyone even experienced these symptoms? Is there any benefit with getting a new ECU aside from what's stated in the letter?
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

I have an 02 sedan and I haven't noticed anything
    luxury is 1.00 BAR+ of boost and the inability for your passenger to touch the dashboard

i think it has something to do with the study they did and found out (right about time) that the 02 and 03 WRX ABS system is not worth a crap
    So now it seems like they will be replacing ABS ECU to fix it, but i don't know if i'll go. If i need reliable braking in winter i just pull out the Fuse and now in summer it's ok even at the autox because better and wider tires have more grip and ABS doesn't kick in that fast.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.